Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: iBook Late 2001 Display Problem
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:38 pm 
Hi. My screen fails to brighten. I can see very faint objects though. Since the apple on the back of the screen fails to light up as well, im assuming its the backlight. from what ive read there are several display components that prevent proper operation of the backlight. is there a single component that usually causes these types of problems? the machine itself works fine. the VGA output works perfectly too. i doubt the problem is the logic board itself. any suggestions on what i should replce or do would be greatly appreciated. thx

Post subject: iBook Display problem
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:35 am 
Hi idave03,

I have the exact same problem. In fact, I'm in the middle of trying to replace my backlight. I believe that is the problem too. I will let you know as soon as I get mine back together. I have the whole thing torn apart and I can't find the right size torx tool to take the four screws out of the display housing. Any ideas? I just downloaded the take apart manual for this... i'll be sure to get back to you by tomorrow sometime. Good luck!

Post subject: RE: ibook display problem
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:19 pm 
I have the same problem with my ibook. Took it to Apple and they said the only thing to do is replace the display for $400 +. Not really worth it in my opinion for a $1000 computer.

I've had many powerbooks over the years and never had a problem with the screens. This seems to me that there's a possible design defect. It was acting flaky prior to going permanently black. At one point, I was able to adjust the angle of the display and it lit up again for several minutes until I bumped it. It almost seems to me like a pinched cable or short.

Anyway, I wouldn't know how to replace the backlight, but is there anyone out there who has, and how did it work out? (and of course, how much was it?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:13 am 
i think i have the same problem. no light at all.

i have tested connections to the inverter card and all are working exepted the red wire that i get 9V instead of 12V ...
i have bought a news card and always the same problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:28 am 
12V on the red wire now ...

how can i know if it's the neon who has a problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:56 am 
Site Admin

This is a problem with your inverter cable, and it is an extremely common issue. The fix is to replace your inverter cable available at the link below:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/cu ... t=0&page=1

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]