Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ti Powerbook.. screen PINK and flickering
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:31 pm 
:x

OH NO!

originial G4 500 powerbook. work 100% perfect since purchase.. started up today.... Nasty pink screen flicker.. like interferance but pink and blue.

Does it at boot selection (alt held) and after pram. so must be hardware issue (sob) :cry: tried Hardware CD, ran test loads. nothing.

Oddly when test ran.. and got to the VMEM test the tests ram fine?

Grrrrr...

Is there still some kinda 'inverter board' between the logic board and the screen that might do this.

Or is in new logic board time?

EEK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

The odds are that this isn't a logic board issue, but instead is one of three things. 1.) Possibly the Inverter board 2.) More than likely you have a cable that is somehow being pinched by your hinges 3.) LCD failure. The last two are more than likely the cause of the problem.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: ok..
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:51 pm 
So.. as a qualified mac engineer, but without service sourse, what the best way to go about isolating the issue.

I'm quite happy to take it all apart, that doesn't worry me at all, but I'm not sure how i'll be able to tell once i've done so.

Any tips would be cool.

Thanks for you help.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:51 am 
Site Admin

The easiest way to test is to replace the parts one by one. The first thing to try (being the easiest) is the inverter board. The display cables and LCD are extremely difficult to replace and test. These G4s were designed so the non-tech would have a hard time getting into them. Just know that if you decide to take it apart, you're facing a daunting task.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: I've had this problem
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:30 pm 
I had this problem as well. The connector from my LCD through the hinge was bad. If I tapped on the bottom panel under the left hinge it might go back to normal and putting some bend strain near the left hinge sometimes helped to temporarily get normal colors back.

I sent it to Apple because it was still under warranty and they had to replace the entire clamshell.

Good luck.
-Michael

Post subject: Different diagnosis...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:52 pm 
A local tech here in Albququerque thought it could be the logic board. His reasoning was based on the fact that when he hooked up an external monitor the same things occured.

Can someone tell me if the connected external monitor would run through the same inverter board?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

If the same things occured on an external monitor, then it's going to be your logic board most likely. That rules out your inverter and display...I should have mentioned this earlier.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:34 am 
I have the same problem.

I want to know is it something fixable or do i need a new logicboard on my 667 powerbook ?

Have experienced this particular problem before Bradley ?

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:00 am 
Site Admin

If you hook your monitor up to an external video source, and the lines are still there then it is definately a logic board problem. We've seen this a lot...especially recently. You have to replace your logic board.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: screen problems just like everybody else
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:39 pm 
I have read/heard so many g4pb owners that have the same problem. Why doesn't Apple recognize this and offer some kind of special repair/replacement program like they did with the g3pb adapters?
Any lawyers down for a class action??? :lol:

If an external monitor works fine, then you would summize that it's the cable being pinched or not securely connected. Is this an easy fix? How much would it cost to get done for those of us that get queezy :oops: at the site of mac guts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:21 am 
Site Admin

I don't think there is a class action regarding this issue, but I do believe there is one regarding the hinges. If the external monitor is fine, is could be a pinched wire, but every situation is unique. You'd need to email us with the details for a quote.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: comes and goes.. almost gone.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:59 pm 
not sure if this will ever see a reply.. but after not using the laptop for around 6 months it sure it a LOT better,

i used it for a period of around 10 hours with out the pink taint once.. then it came back a little, but apply presure to the LH hinge seemed to make it go away!

its fine via SVHS and D-sub!

suspect a cable ?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]