Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Strange problem with headphone jack
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:25 am 
Hi all..

I am having a strange issue with the headphone output on my TiBook... The audio signal that I get from the mini-jack seems to be missing entire frequency ranges or something. Some cds seem to be missing low-end, others I can't hear the vocals ... It's the weirdest thing -- I'd imagine if the port was bad that I'd have, say, one channel out, or an intermittent crackling when the cord is jostled -- but this is very odd. If I remove the headphones and let the signal come through the two internal speakers, the problem goes away and the full signal appears to come through fine (although the internal speakers don't offer a very full range themselves).

This leads me to believe that the issue isn't with the entire soundcard, as it is isolated to the mini-jack. Still, I am not sure how I should go about trying to fix it. Any ideas? I recently swapped out the display after my old one crapped out -- I suppose it's possible that during the installation something was damaged to cause this audio problem?

Thanks,
ST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:58 am 
sorry for the double post there... ok, so here's the new development:

I have stumbled upon another weird quirk. I am running OS 9.2 at the moment, and if I pull up the Sound control panel when using headphones, I am given the graphic of a pair of phones with a left and right slider for each channel's volume setting. Now, I tried to play around with the two channels and discovered that if I turn down the level of the right and leave the left at full, I regain some (but not all) of the missing signal! If I swap them and have the left at minimum volume and right at full, I get much the same effect. But if I have them both at full, the signal is very noticeably wrong. Somehow the left/right stereo split has been co-opted and corrupted. Any clue what is going on here?

ST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:03 am 
one last addendum... When running the white noise "Start Test" option, I get a proper stereo split at the usual left/right volume settings-- the strange phenomenon doesn't occur in this test. However, on all other applications, the audio signal behaves as described above...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]