Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Powerbook G4 screen partial wash-out
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:35 pm 

I have a 17" Powerbook G4, 2/3 of the screen is having a wash-out problem. The top third is OK, but the bottom starts changing contrast from almost OK to quite bright/contrasty going from left to right. I've googled the problem but haven't found anything similar, most problems are either dots, stripes, or whole-screen problems. I did find few that mentioned the bottom section going off, the cause was described as probably a pinched display cable, but these did not have the changing-across-the-screen that I am seeing. This computer does have a partially-broken left hinge (far left bit). Moving the screen up and down, pinching various parts of the screen, pressing here and there, makes no difference.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jerry

Post subject: Re: Powerbook G4 screen partial wash-out
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Generally any type of 1/3 issue with a screen is going to be the LCD itself. Just how they are manufactured they tend to go defective in thirds. Unfortunately for a Titanium, you are looking at a hefty repair. Replacing the entire display will cost you over $600.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:46 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it would be a pinched cable that I could "unpinch" but I guess not. What actually goes bad, corrosion in the contacts, overheated resistors, bad voodoo?

$600 is kind of unecomomical, isn't it, for a laptop of this vintage? Rats.

Thanks,
Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:32 am 
Site Admin

Yea, it isn't very economical for these older machines, but unfortunately Apple only sells the replacement as the entire display. You can try to find just a replacement LCD, but it is the hardest repair ever for an Apple laptop as Apple didn't make those displays to be taken apart.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]