Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Terrible, terrible hangs -- fairly certain it's hardware!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:07 pm 
I've been having the strangest of problems with my 1 GHz TiBook, since the day I got it. It's still under AppleCare, but the problem is impossible to pin down, and the guys on the phone just keep telling me to drag plists to the Trash, then shrug their shoulders and tell me to call back if it happens again.

This problem used to occur only when I was playing with iTunes. Now, it only occurs when I'm playing Halo. Like I said, it's weird. It's survived updates from Jaguar to Panther, dragging plists and resetting the PRAM like it's my job, and three clean installs.

The system locks up, and hard. Everything freezes, and it won't respond to SSH requests. If there's audio playing at the time, it loops the last half-second or so until I force the computer to power off. It's as if the whole machine is frozen in time.

I *know* it's not a problem with Halo, because I experienced it before Halo even existed. But I just know if I send it away for service, it'll come back with a little sticker that says "Looks fine to us!" or "Call the Halo guys!"

The closest thing I could find on the Apple support boards involved older TiBooks. They experienced the same crash, due to a small orange ribbon cable that gets rubbed raw, and eventually shorted out by the Ti casing. The ribbon is located under the left command key.

I have said ribbon, and it is indeed wedged between two pieces of metal inside the case. However, the posters on the support boards say that they can induce the crash by pressing on the part of the frame that touches the ribbon--and this doesn't work for me.

Sorry for the long post, but this is driving me absolutely nuts! If someone could post a photograph of the area I described in their 1 GHz TiBook, I'd be forever in their debt. I would just buy the manual here, but I'm not sure if it will show my exact model--it seems the various Ti models differ in the shape of their casings at that critical point.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]