Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: hot TiG4 and freezeing OS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:15 pm 
Several times now my TiG4 (1GHz) has frozen up when the computer has become hot. The first time, the computer froze, the screen was black and no combintion of key strokes would cause it to "wake" even though the fan was going. The case was very hot, even the keyboard. Not even the power key worked, and I eventually pulled the battery to get it to die. Fortunately there was no apparent lose of data or damage to the OS. The second time happend while I was using the pb. It was hot and seemed to begin failing to respond to mouse and keyboard input. Very quickly everything froze this time with the screen lite and frozen with my apps open. I tried all the known keystrokes to get its attention and not even the power key responded. Because I had some important work active, I let it alone and went for a break, and when I came back about 10 min later, there was a dialogue asking if I wanted to restart or shudown the computer. I canceled it and everything seemed OK.

My fan seems to run allmost all the time. I took the bottom off and verified no blockage to fans or vents. I use a cooling podium.

Does anyone know if there is a feature in the OS to shut down the processor under excessive temp conditions? Is there some utility or such that reports processor temp like the "X-Battery" monitoring software reports charge condition?

I searched the kbase at Apple and found no help.

IFRROADGY

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]