Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Horizontal "noise" on display
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:04 pm 

Yet another display issue, but please consider these symptoms. When the machine has been running very processor-intensive apps, such as video with audio, 3D games, etc., those jumping horizontal lines appear on the display occasioanlly. Usually, quitting the app in question will eventually cause this noise to disappear.

I've been told by a fairly knowledgeable friend (who's experienced the same symptoms) that this is due to a heat issue, which I can readily believe, as this machine runs so hot, and the noise seems to correlate with heat-generating tasks (i.e., I've never had this problem while using Word or something).

There are aspects of this problem, however, that I can't figure out:

1. These symptoms seem to have increased in frequency over the past two or three months (I've had the machine for about 10 months).

2. I can often get the noise to stop by playing around with the display angle, or by lifting the computer slightly by the corner of the display (risky, I know). This makes it feel, to me, like some sort of loose connector issue.

3. I have never experienced any of the other freezing, flashing, blue screen type problems that others on this forum have in conjunction with the noise symptom. Knock very hard on wood.

Anyway, thoughts? I'm trying to decide whether I should try to get this looked at while it's still under warranty (about 6 weeks), or if that would just be asking for more trouble. It seems like people who get these machines serviced usually just buy themselves more problems.

Thanks for any advice!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]