Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Powerbook G4 400 will not see internal HD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:05 pm 

Hi,

I have a PowerBook G4 400. I recently replaced the stock HD with a brand new one. I partitioned the drive and installed OS 9 and X.2. After I applied all of the updates to X.2, I had to restart. Ever since then, all I get is a flashing questionmark and the Apple/Picasso face. I can boot up from a CD, but nothing can even tell me that the boot drive is installed. I have flashed the PRAM many times. I have also updated the firmware on my PB. I am really at a loss. I am open to any suggestions.

If I hold down the Option Key during startup, it does not find any HD. If I boot up from any bootbale CD...OS9, OSX.2, Yellow Dog Linux 3...nothing can find the HD. This means that I cannot reinstall anything.

I have tried two other HD in my PowerBook. No change in results though. Would a new PMU fix anything?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 14909&rd=1

Thanx,
Equal Opportunity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

The PMU won't solve anything. I'd check to make sure that the hard drive cable didn't come loose, and then boot from a cd. Erase the drive if it sees it, and reinstall.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: upgrade the DH from 10 to 40 Gig
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:39 am 
Hi,
I am planning to change my stock 10 Gig HD for aq Hitatchi 5400 RPM 40 Gig unit with 8 MB cache- parts are already enroute from Germany- I live on a far away island near Africa...

I have zero experience with this upgrading stuff and have just purchased your repair manual hoping for clues- its downloading as I write.

Can anyone give me ideas, cautions, step by step procedure? Also planing to buy the new Panther and planing to boot the new HD with the new Panther CDrom. Will that work?

How can I transfer data from the old HD to the new one once Panther is installed?

Am I about to make a big mistake??

Thanks for info :?: or direct reply to cybercurry@intnet.mu

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]