Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problems reading CD's
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:14 am 
Hello,
I burn CD's at one locality using a LaCie PlexWriter attached to a Twin 500mhz G4 running OSX 10.2.6 (That G4 cannot burn CD's but can burn DVD-RAM (double sided in a cassette)). When I take these CD's to copy the data to my Powerbook Ti G4 it usually has a lot of trouble reading these CD's. Mostly it will not read them at all. Sometimes it cluncks away for a long time and then mounts the CD icon but I am unable to copy the data. Etc.
The drive on the Ti G4 seems OK since it works fine with other CD's and DVD's.
Any suggestions please.
Thanks
RSM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Does the drive read normal cds ok? Did the drive ever read cds? The drive in the 400/500 is notorious for going bad. Most likely you're looking at a replacement.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:52 pm 
This is interesting, because only recently did my drive stop reading CD's; however, it reads DVD's just fine. This is in a 667 DVI model TiBook, I've tried cleaning the drive with no luck, and I doubt it's software related. Do these optical drives have "dual sensors"?? One to read CD's, the other to read DVD's? Maybe one of the sensors went bad?

Post subject: Problems reading CD's
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:50 pm 
Thanks for the replies.
Yes it did always read CD's and DVD's no problem. Still reads DVD's no problem. Reads Audio CD's no problem. Reads Apple OS CD's no problem. Reads Software CD's no problem.
Problems start when trying to read CD's "user burnt". We publish a magazine and I get lots of CD's with large images etc. Trouble reading these. But the biggest problems are reading the CD's that I burn on the La Cie drive. Will just not read these at all. Lots of clicks and whirrrs and clunks and sometimes an error message saying it is not a Mac OS format etc.
RSM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds like the problem is in the way you burn the cds. Make sure you burn them in MAC OS format or hybrid.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:18 pm 
At least your drive can read install and MacOS CD's just fine, no luck here....just any DVD works for me.

Post subject: Problems burning CD's
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:29 am 
Bradley,
Thanks for the reply. I do burn them using MAC OS format - but my suspicion about this is that there is some conflict with the way the La Cie Plexwriter formats the CD since it oroginally worked fine under OS 9 but since I installed Jaguar on the MAc driving the La Cie the problems have begun. PS The Ti G4 is a 667 Mhz model.
Thanks
Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Do you have your system set up for dual boot with OS9? If not, install OS9 and boot into it and see if the problem is still there is OS9. If it isn't you've got a burner compatibility issue. If it is you've got a drive issue.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: possible solution
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:33 pm 
just curious - are you attaching paper labels to your cd's? i currently reside in SE Asia where they affix these thick paper labels that cover the whole top side of every CD they make - at least 75% of the time when i try to read these CD's in my TiBook i have the same problem - in fact oftentimes i cannot even get the machine to force quit and must do a hard restart (CMD-CTRL Power Button). thanks Apple for finally getting rid of that little paper clip manual ejector hole just when we need it the most!
anyway i suppose it has something to do with the clearances - the CD's are just too thick - or too heavy. either way when i (carefully) peel off the paper labels the CD's all work just fine. now if i could just get them to stop using the damn things - or at least to stop using what must be goddam superglue to put em on! (alcohol works well...)

cheers,
bvb

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]