Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: trouble starting up
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:08 pm 
Tibook 667.
I was innocently working on the computer, when suddenly the screen started going wierd on me. First my cursor got all pixelated, then the rest of the screen followed suit. Now when I try to boot up, the screen stays completely black, and the indicator light shows nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

Try to boot the unit on an external monitor using the video out. If you get something on the display then your video card on your logic board is dead. You'll have to replace the logic board if this is the case.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: spider
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:01 pm 
Plugged another monitor in, and got a green light for a second and a degauss, but nothing more.
Later, I pulled the keyboard off the top, and I found a dead spider laying inside the computer. Before dying it had built a small web around itself.
What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:58 am 
Site Admin

A dead spider ehhh? I thought I had seen it all, but that's a first for that one. If you aren't getting anything on your external video source, and you are it is hooked up correctly, then most likely you've got a logic board failure and you'll need to replace your board.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: mine too...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:02 am 
Well, this is exactly the problem I'm having, although mine appears to be spider free. Mine died in the exact same circumstances - I was assuming because of that that it was the videocard, which is of course built in (damn!) to the logic board. Someone at apple also suggested that it might perhaps be the PMU board... any thoughts on that? And if it IS the logic board, is there any way to verify that other than getting a new one and crossing my fingers?

Post subject: forgot to mention...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:03 am 
I forgot to mention in my last post that mine is a 550, not a 667 though. Still, I'm sure it's the same issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

The odds are very high that it is the logic board. Sometimes if you run the hardware test cd that came with your computer it will detect the failure, but a lot of times it won't. The way to test is to swap boards.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject: alternatives...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:46 pm 
Yeah, unfortunately, it's kinda hard to run the diagnostics on the CD when you can't see anything on the screen.

My other question though, is that if the 550 and the 667 are essentially the same computer but with different logic boards, can I in effect upgrade my 550 to a 667 with that replacement part? And if so, what is the price of the 667 logic board?

Thanks,

Evan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Yes, so long as it is the 667 NON-DVI. The 667 DVI board is not compatible.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]