Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hard drive replacement problems, no drive found?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:52 am 

This one stumped me many months ago, so I put the Powerbook on the shelf for a day when I had some free time to troubleshoot it.

Well I've got the time today, I was hoping someone else on here has run into this problem.

I have a Titanium Powerbook G4 800mhz laptop, a few months ago I replaced the hard drive with a nice large 120gig laptop drive. Worked like a champ for a month or so then it started making those nasty clicking noises and crashed often.

So no big deal, I'll get a replacement drive, put it in the laptop, and ship this 120 back for a replacement. Never could I have been more wrong...

Just like before I removed the old drive (120) and put in a nice formatted 40Gig, on reboot I left the OSX DVD in the drive for a fresh OS install. Except the DVD booted and saw no hard drive! Yep, nothing to install to.

I was stunned, so I swapped the drive back (40 out, 120 in), same thing, no drive.

Figuring my FoxConn IDE cable must have slipped and I tried again and again, and again.

Finally, short of giving up, I tried one more time with the 120, this time no OSX DVD, lo and behold it booted! but started clicking and crashed shortly thereafter.

Now, I wondering, sure it could be the controller/logic board, which would be a $$$ replacement, however, could there be some sort of openbios config I need to do to get it to "recognize" the new media?

I'm tired of the sad mac face and hoping you guys have some suggestions.

Thanks!

-A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

well if its intermittent like that on more than one drive, it could either be damage to the cable itself or the controller. I would lean more toward the controller on the logic board if you are saying the problem is switching back and forth between the hard drive and the optical drive.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]