Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Primary and secondary fan replacement - in take apart gude?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:28 pm 

I just purchased a primary and secondary fan replacement from this site for my Ti G4 PB 1GHZ. (Although it looks like I got the last one. After I purchased it, the status went to "out of stock").

Anyway, both fans "details" pages noted that I would need the Torx 8 tool and the G4 Ti 1GHZ take-apart guide.

After purchasing all 4 items, I downloaded the guide and skimmed through and did a text search for "fan".

I do not see any instructions on taking out/replacing either of the fans. Does that information ship with the fans? Did I make a mistake and buy a guide that won't help me? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

You are right that neither fan is addressed in the manual. I have made a note of this, and it will be addressed in the next revision.

Until that is done however, I can walk you through the repair. For both fans, you have to first remove the logic board.

The secondary fan is the easy fan to change out. It sits behind the DC-IN board and is held on by a single T6 screw (one of the ones for the DC-IN board as well) With this screw removed, and the cable disconnected from the logic board, you can lift the fan out and install the new one.

The primary fan is slightly more complicated. It is located in the back middle of the logic board. To remove the old fan grasp the board, and push up on the fan from the bottom to release it. It is held on with black adhesive strips and rubber grommit. When it is free, the rubber grommit will still be in place. (You can pull it until it breaks, or just cut it...the new fan comes with a new grommit.)

Next line up the new fan on the logic board (Note that the grommit will likely go in a different hole if you have a different brand fan) You'll notice that the bottom of the fan has two clips that snap into the predesigned holes on the logic board...the grommit goes in the 3rd hole...connect the fan to the logic board and you are good to go.

Let me know if this isn't clear or you need further clarification.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:36 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

I'll post my results.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]