Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tibook screen separation
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:26 am 
When I opened my Tibook up the other day I noticed a popping sound. I got to looking at the left hand side of the screen (as you're looking at the keyboard) and I noticed that the screen is separating when I open it up. Now I have to hold the screen together with my hand when I open it up to keep the screen halves from separating just below the screw. I'm afraid the screen housing will bend.

Is there any easy fix for this ? Super Glue ?

Dutch
Logan, OH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Logan,

There is no easy fix. You'll need to get the casing of the display replaced, and it is extremely costly. You might be able to come up with a fix yourself that would be cheaper...ie superglue...but it wouldn't be reccomended.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: Apple's reply
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:27 am 
Stopped by the Apple store last night to let them take a look at it and they said I'm looking at $280 to $320 to have it fixed.

Think I'll try Super Glue first.

Dutch

Post subject: same spliting screen Headache
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:23 am 
My Tipowerbook has the same spliting problem with the outer casing. It is unfortunate that it should be so costly. I'm only a college student and that much money just barely me through a month . let me know if the super glue works, or any other alternative fix you find. I was thinking about trying it but unsure of any side effects. I use my powerbook daily and am usually so careful. just got tangeld in a phone cord. stupid me.

Post subject: same spliting screen Headache
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:27 am 
My Tipowerbook has the same spliting problem with the outer casing. It is unfortunate that it should be so costly. I'm only a college student and that much money just barely me through a month . let me know if the super glue works, or any other alternative fix you find. I was thinking about trying it but unsure of any side effects. I use my powerbook daily and am usually so careful. just got tangeld in a phone cord. stupid me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:28 am 
I had one at work that had this same splitting problem about 6 weeks into buying it. The hinges are to tight. If you loosen them a bit then tighten them back a bit it should help correct the problem.

Apple replaced my screen under waranty. We had an identical TiBook ordered at the same time and had no such problems with it.

cheers!

Chisholm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:01 pm 

I recently replaced my broken hinges on my Powerbook (thanks Powerbookmedic.com for the parts) :D. The screen is glued together. I used a product called Krazy Glue Gel to glue it back together and it is just like new. I would warn however be very careful with the glue, it will ruin your screen if it gets on the LCD, and will permanently stick your fingers together if your not careful. I am a former PC tech. so I wouldn't try this at home if you are not technically inclined.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Glad to hear you were successful. One thing to note though. Avoid Superflue at all costs! Not only will it damage the TFT if you get it on it, but it emits gases when drying which could damage your display as well. Be careful. Contact cement works great.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: Superglue is a NO-NO!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:05 pm 

do NOT use superglue, or any cianoacrylate compound.
it is very aggresive and simply cracks circuit boards inside out.
try instead 2 part epoxys (i did, my pbooks work OK), apply it very sparingly.
you would rather have a case that opens back from too little glue than one that oozes cement and is bound to self destroy if you try to reopen it.
contact cement seems viable, i haven't tried it tough.
it is certainly cleanable and far less fuming/aggressive than any superglue.

hope it helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Very very good point. Use an epoxy such as Loctite Quick set epoxy. Superglue gives off vapors when drying which can damage your LCD. If you need us to change your hinges, the cost is $249.95 for one hinge or $349.95 for both hinges, or you can purchase the parts for the repair from our online store.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:15 pm 
I am glad I saw this thread, although I am very confused now. I am having the same problem as described - I head a cracking/popping sound yesterday, then realized that when I adjusted the screen, the bottom corner (on the right) of the frame would come open and I had to hold it tightly together in order to move it any further. I got it to where it looks almost normal, and haven't dared move it since then.

After reading some different sites yesterday, I came to the conclusion that the hinge had broken and that's what was causing the display frame to split, but now that I have found this thread, I am confused as to what is actually wrong.

How does this happen to the display frame, then? How can I tell if the hinge needs replacing, or what the actual cause of the problem is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:38 am 
Site Admin

as mentioned earlier in the thread, sometimes loosening and retightening the hinge can fix the display separation problem, but in most cases its just the casing is wearing down and needs replacing or to be "glued" back together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:41 am 
Site Admin

If your casing bows out at all on the sides of the display, your hinge is broken, any way you look at it. Unfortunately this is a very common problem with Titaniums. It may start as a simply bending of the casing, but eventually it will completely give way.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]