Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Take apart Manual missing info
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:48 pm 

Well- I downloaded the powerbookmedic take apart manual for the Ti G4- And it does not go far enough.

I need to replace the titanium bezel that surounds the computer body. Mine is cracked right near the power cord connector.
Its the lighter piece of titanium around the edge that all the port holes and slots perforate.

The manual shows disassembly all the way to the inner rib frame- but not how to separate the outer bezel part from the rest of the computer.

Is this part replaceable? Does getting this part off require the total disassembly of the entire machine to piles of parts?
Can it be replaced without removing the entire guts of the machine?

please advise.

christopher

Post subject: DON'T TOUCH THE RIB FRAME!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:11 pm 

WHOA! I just did the EXACT same thing. WATCH OUT! The rib frame is supremely tricky and NOT covered in the manual. I finally got mine back together but it's improved cosmetic condition is overshadowed by all the missing screws and non-working stuff like the super drive. Also a really scary buzz on start-up. I just emailed and am sending mine to have them put it back together the correct and sturdy way- after dropping a bundle on the new bottom case and palmrest and manual. I should have just sent it in to begin with but the guy told me the manual covered everything I would need to know. Hopefully there is a way to get this critical info into the manual before it happens to someone else! I like this company and will use them again but am very disappointed about this issue.

Don't even try to do it without the directions because it is tricky, tricky and if you don't do it correctly you will end up building it back together only to have to go back to step one because the rib frame isn't right. It drove me nuts.

Yes I am a girl but I am pretty handy at doing this stuff and this was difficult without the instructions. I would have NEVER even started had I known that I would get almost to the end before discovering there was information missing. The thing was in parts long before the missing info issue became clear and important.

we'll look forward to seeing what they say about this because it is a BIG problem.

Post subject: Ooops, now I see what you asked
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:13 pm 

You can't replace the silly light gray bezel without spending $250 on a new palmrest. My previous reply was all due to trying to fix a simple cracked bezel and a dented bottom case on what was previously a great computer with cosmetic issues.

Sorry and good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

The plastic light grey trim on these models can't be replaced on its own. You have to replace the entire trackpad and trim assembly. The disassembly requires taking apart the entire unit.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]