Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Logic Board Power Connector?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:20 am 
I have an Onyx TiBook G4. Recently, after loaning it to a friend, it came back and wouldn't recharge. When the ac cord was attached the plug that normally glows amber or green turned reddish colored.

I cracked open the tibook and tested a few things. I pulled the logic board to examine the power in connector located at J8 on the board (the place you plug in to recharge the battery). Looks like this has been damaged since there's a loose piece rattling inside the connector housing. Looks like there is a male-type part that gets pushed to the back of the connector when the cord is inserted...this has come loose and I can't seem to fix it.

The good news is that it's super easy to desolder and solder on a new part. Only problem is, I have no clue what part number or even a "real" name for it. I browsed thru DigiKey, but didn't see anything that looked even close to the part I need.

Does anyone know anything about this part? When you peel back the tape covering it, there is only a "47" stamped in black on the white plastic...this looks like a cheap part if only I could find one...as a starving grad student, I'd much rather repair the logic board than replace it...especially for something this easy.

I would be forever grateful if someone could possibly point me to a source for this part, give me some additional info about the part...part name or number and a manufacturer...I need the Tibook back in action. Any help is greatly appreciated...I wonder how many PB logic boards are replaced due to malfunctions just like this...the cool part is I have access to great SMD desoldering equipment so the work will prolly take 15 minutes...I've spent days surfing the net trying to find info on what the part name/number is and where it can be had.

Hope someone knows...thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

You can't order just this part. You need to replace the logic board. If you are set on soldering, I'd buy a dead board on eBay and try to solder that part off and onto your board.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]