Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 10.3 upgrade gone sideways
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:09 am 

Hi all.

I have an indigo 366 with firewire I gave to my Mom and Sister to share. As I mentioned in another topic the battery stopped charging, I replaced the charger board, and it still doesn't charge (and it's a very new BTI after market battery, not the original battery).

My problem is very wierd:
The 10.3 install disk will happily start the machine and run an install, but when the machine boots, I get only a partially drawn screen image but a fully functional (or as far as I can tell) OS.

It boots to a blue screen, a correctly drawn and moving mouse icon, and a large white box with no info where the login pane would be. I can blindly click around where my login button should be and the empty white square will "collapse" like the login window should, and I can blindly type my password and it appears to log me in! Then the blue screen and cursor remain, and the menubar tries to draw and windowshades away again infinitely. The OS is trying to tell me something I assume from the next wierd manuver, an empty BLACK box in the middle of the screen that looks like it might be a dialog. I can even press the power key and blindly click around in the empty rectangle that would be the shutdown/restart/sleep dialog box, and get the expected results!

I honestly have never seen the OS go sideways like this before, so I'm fairly sure it's probably a kernel extension dealing with video or something. Any and all help is appreciated.

I was able to boot the machine a few times from a portable firewire drive I keep loaded with a backup 10.2.8 install (just for moments like this when you need an alternate boot disk), but it kernel panics every time after about 10 minutes running like that. As of my 3rd or 4th time thru this cycle, the firewire ports seem to have stopped working altogether so that option is out.

I can boot with the 10.3 installer and it draws windows and dialog boxes just fine, and I can change startup disks and all that.

Does anyone have a reaction to the above or has anyone seen this happen? Anybody know if there's a kernel extension or three I should pull off of a 10.2 disk somewhere?

Wheeew.

Thanks for reading

WM

Post subject: More...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:10 am 

Ooops. I forgot to clarify that this all started happening RIGHT AFTER installing 10.3 from the full install disks.

WM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:33 am 

Did you update to the latest firmware?

I've installed 10.3 on a Tangerine. No problems.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]