Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Loose ac adapter port???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:11 am 
I was hoping someone could give me their opinion regarding my ibook se. My husband and I are noticing that we have to play with and gently jiggle the plug that goes into the ac port in order for it to operate properly. We tested out the actual ac adapter, and it is operating fine. We believe the problem to be with the port on the side of the ibook. Would anyone know what the problem is?? Does something need to be tightened or replaced?? Any help would be so much appreciated! :roll:

Post subject: dc inboard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:17 pm 

there is a little dc in board that can go bad or get loose. As far as I can tell it is only a friction fit to the main logic board and a couple plastic clips. I have not looked inside mine, this is what I gather from PowerBook Medics take apart manual for the Clamshell iBook. I am not sure if they can be simply reseated if they work loose.

You generally find these on ebay if you need one.

Larry

Post subject: Loosey goosey ac adapter port
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:06 pm 
I am having the same problem with my graphite ibook clamshell. What is it exactly you can do to repair the port?

Post subject: dc in board
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:36 pm 

Go to PowerMedics sales site (links at the top of the forum) and buy the take apart manual for the clamshell. These are only $10.00 so well worth the money and it will show how far you have to dissasemble to get to the dc board. I have not had this problem on mine and the only reason that I am thinking of taking mine apart is that the 6 gig drive once in a while makes a strange noise so I amy take mine apart and put in a 40 or 60 gig.

Larry

Post subject: Loose connector
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:50 pm 
Thanks for the tip Larry. Would you recommend buying the manual for download or on CD? I bought it on CD, I don't know which is better. Are there any special tools one would need for the taking apart of the computer? Anything you think may be helpful is appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: take apart manual
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:50 pm 

The take apart manual is a pdf file and is just under 9meg in size so just download it and burn to cd yourself if you can. I have several computers so have it saved in several places. Depends on how fast you want it, obviously download is going to be a lot faster. If you have no way to back it up then get the cd.

Tools needed are pretty common, a #8 torx screwdriver. I don't think there are any smaller then this but some people have said #6, I have only needed the #8 to take apart the screen. Inside it is almost all phillips head screws, I have a good set of miniature screwdrivers and find these are the right size. The one I use says it is a size #0.

When you take apart the ibook make sure that you make notes and sort the screws for where they go, there are several different length screws I use a peice of cardboard and a strip of double sided tape so the screws stick and stay in place and I can write above it where it came from or draw a small sketch.

Make sure that you are grounded, static can cause all kinds of problems. You can buy static wrist straps to stop static. Failing that make sure before you touch the logic board etc that you ground yourself by touching something metal. My computer desk has a metal frame so I have a wrist strap that is screwed to the frame. a non static mat can also be a help.

Post subject: Loose port
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:10 am 
You are a virtual well of information and thank you for all of it thus far. Would you happen to know where i could pick up a set or even single torx screwdrivers that also carries stock of phillips head screwdrivers? I found the replacement part on sale on this site, it would be convenient if they also sold the screwdrivers needed for the task.

Post subject: tools
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:12 pm 

most any good hardware store will have torx screwdrivers and miniature tool sets (mine has 6 small screwdrivers in phillips or flat). I bought mine at Canadian Tire which is a Automotive/home hardware/want to eveything for everybody :-) Home Depot would also have them and I know that you have Home Depot down there :-)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]