Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: iBook battery problems
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:52 am 
Hi,

I have a 1999 iBook. Recently the battery would not charge, so I assumed the battery had finally worn out after 4 years. I purchased a new battery and now this battery will not charge either. The iBook runs fine when plugged in, and the power cord light is always green, but the icon on the screen indicates a low battery and no charging lightning bolt. I tested the power cord on another computer (a powerbook) and it charged the battery on that computer without a problem. So I took it to be repaired. First they insisted that I needed to buy a new battery, but I didn't want to buy another $200 battery when the one in the computer was less than 2 weeks old (the new battery came with a full charge, according to the battery icon). They replaced the charging board and this did not fix the problem. Then they told me that my logic board needed to be replaced at a cost of over $500. I decided not to spend any more money (after the new battery and the charging board cost) and didn't have the logic board replaced. Based on your experience, do the logic boards go bad often? Or do these guys not know what they are talking about?

I just purchased one of your battery chargers, hoping that I will be able to charge the battery externally and get around the problem. If my logic board is bad, will this effect the life of my battery, even if I charge it externally? Will charging the battery externally even work?

Thank you for any info you can give!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:17 am 
Site Admin

Charging the battery externally will work if you are only having a charging problem. Most likely a charging problem is related to the charger board. If you are sure the repair center did their job correctly, then they could be right that it is the logic board. We've only seen this in one other repair though.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: Battery Problem too
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:47 am 
My battery won't charge anymore ever since I had a power surge. The computer works fine when it is plugged in, it stays Green (even with the battery in). When I got the surge the battery was full. I tried to run off the battery after that and all the lights that glow (except the one where you plug it in) would slowly start glowing in-till it would be bright then the computer would shut off. I used the hardware test CD and it sees the battery. I think I need to replace the iBook charger board. Maybe the battery too? The only thing that really concerns me is the "glowing" that was happing. :cry:
Does that mean I need a new Logic board?

I'd appreciate any advice and help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

First I'd try a new battery and then a new Charger board. Or the other way around. One of those should fix your problem. You shouldn't need a new logic board.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:50 pm 
Thanks for the help. You pointed me in the right direction. :)

So the slowly glowing lights (Num lock, Sleep light, and caps lock) till it shuts down thing is normal with a bad battery or charger board? You seen that before? :shock:

Well, I have one last question. I looked at the Charger board to see if anything there is burnt or messed up looking. I noticed something but am not sure if it is suppose to be that way. It looks like a fuse (in a glass tube). It is located on the board below "S1" or the smaller "S2" and above the "C30". It that thing suppose to have a cut in the middle of the metal piece inside the glass tube. Is it like a reed switch or is it suppose to be connected. It looks like a fuse that got to much power and broke. I dunno. :?

I don't wanna get a new battery and ruin it because of the charger board.
So I think I am gonna get the Charger board first but I got a friend that has a battery I could try out. I just don't wanna bust his battery.

Info would be much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Your position is interesting because of the power surge you experienced. Most likely you just need to replace the charger board. If that doesn't fix it, the logic board is the next solution, but the charger board should fix you up. As for the fuse, yes the slit is normal.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]