Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: iBook 466 SE DVD/Firewire does not read internal RAM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:42 pm 
I was having power down problems. Then Freeze problems with my iBook 466 SE clamshell.

I bought a new battery, then a new power supply - because he machine would just power off without provication. The Freezing happened still but it didn't power off... then the hard drive crashed. I had reinstalled the system to 10.2.x (all the way up to 10.2.6) and it was working, sometimes reading the internal 64 0DIMM, sometimes not. ASfter I reinstalled the HD with 10.2 alone, partitioning the drive (UNIX drive and partitioned of HFS).

I ran TechTool, zapped the PRAM and reset the PMU, etc. I am wondering if the internal RAM went bad and how much of an issue this is if I have upgraded the other port. It seems to be running pretty good now with the 128mb DIMM RAM.. but I haven't really pushed it.

Suggestion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

From what you describe, either your ram is bad or you are having logic board failure. If the ram is bad, it can be a serious issue that leads to frequent freezes and crashes. If you think the ram is bad, take it out and run it for a few days without it in there and see if the problem goes away.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:40 pm 
It seems to be running okay.. if slow.

After reformatting the hard drive into partitions (UNIX and HDFS, Jaguar). It still won't recognize the internal ram, but will recognize the 128mb chip. It does not crash and actually sleeps!!

Still watching it for errors.. but I don't think it is the logic board. Maybe I am in denial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:18 am 
Site Admin

If the ram went bad, it is an issue, and you'll want to remove it from your laptop as it will cause your computer to crash frequently.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: Have Heard That...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:01 pm 
Suspect the memory - have heard that OS X will fail on "less than compatible memory" sooner than OS 9 will. You must use "Apple compatable" memory in iBooks - look for such a statement on the package when purchasing.[/list]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]