Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: iBook cd-harddrive problem (none wil boot)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:24 am 

I have te folowing problem:

After the 'click of death' while starting up after a number crashes my harddrive stopped to work all together.

It heats up while I work on it booting from my ipod on the firewire, and doesn't seem to spin but it sounds as if small sparks are running over it. And of course it doesn't mount either.

I tried to restart from cd, reset nvram, powermanagement, start up with mousebutton pressed (to open de cd) etc, but none of that has been of any help.

Meanwhile I inspected the harddrive and cd ensuring that the ribbon is well connected, it seems to be.

Taking the drive out it sounds as if the head is loose, but what puzzles me is the fact that the cd won't boot, even not with a bootable os-9 cd in the drive.

Is the booting of the cd somehow connected to a booting hd?
Does the hd short-circuit the booting of the cd?
Is there some other problem? (ribbon maybe?)

Any help is welcome. I do the repairs myself but need to know what to get before I spend more money then I should!

TIA Douwe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

The hard drive and cd drive are dependent of one another, so you should be able to boot from one if the other fails. It would be rare for both devices to fail at the same time, so the logical thing to try would be the logic board.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:50 am 

The problem has been solved... I got a new HD from a local store anyway . The click of death syndrome pointed at that direction. The iBook is working fine with it. Everything works as it should.

Douwe

Post subject: no booting
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:37 pm 
I am experiencing the same problem. My iBook will not boot from the HD nor the CD rom. Should i get a new HD?
:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:44 pm 
I had an ibook that just went "CLICK", "CLICK", "CLICK", "CLICK" on startup and WOULD NOT boot from a CD either. I torn it apart and installed a new hard drive and now it works great...If you need some help getting to the hard drive I can provide you with a really cool webpage all about tearing an ibook apart...
Bill

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]