Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: ibook intermitant screen problem
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:09 am 

I have a dual USB white ibook.

The problem is intermitant, though the last few days its been occuring more frequently.

The screen will sometimes go dimmer-- mostly either "slightly", sometmes "very" dim, very infrequently it will momentarily fade to black. Position of the hinge cover has no effect on problem.

Normally just shifting the position of the computer will clear the problem up and if that doesnt work I've found that by lightly pressing on the left hand side of the computer in the area from the track pad to the edge of the unit will clear it up-- the screen may go dimmer or slightly brighter before correcting itself, but it does correct.

Do you think this is a loose cable problem, or something like a video card acting up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:07 pm 
I've been having the exact same problem, in fact I can make mine go blank or come back on by pressing on the area left of the touch pad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

9 times out of 10 it is the logic board that is the culprit.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject: Same prob
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:08 am 

I've been having the same issue, infact it comes and goes as youe describe and touching the area left of the track pad and under the option key seem sto make it come or go.

Oddly enough I've noticed that the area there seems to get hot if I don't let it get air flow. The screen problems only happen when it gets warmer or hot. If I keep the air flowing, them usually I'm fine.

So my question is this? Did anyone else find a resolution to this issue? And if so what worked?

Also, if it is a motherboard, what does that cost?

Lastly, could the lack of airflow and heat have caused any permanent damage to the motherboard. I assume no, but am just curious.

Thanks,

Greg

Post subject: same problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:24 pm 
I have the same problem with my computer but it happens differently. My screen will have lines going across it and it will be blurred. I noticed that i could correct this by pushing on the left side of my ibook right next to the trackpad. After a while the problem got worse and i decided to dissasemble my laptop. NOW PAY ATTENTION......the area where i was pushing was right where my hard drive was located! just be careful when you do press in that area because you may cause damage to the hard drive.In fact i reccomend not pushing on your laptop at all. Well now that i have voided my warantee.....doh.....i am planning on fixing the laptop by myself. If i find a way to fix it i will post it on this board. If you have any information to help me on my journey into the ibook please email me at
gitanoa10@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Same prob
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:10 pm 

GregGomer wrote:
clip

Oddly enough I've noticed that the area there seems to get hot if I don't let it get air flow. The screen problems only happen when it gets warmer or hot. If I keep the air flowing, them usually I'm fine.

So my question is this? Did anyone else find a resolution to this issue? And if so what worked?

clip

Greg

Has anyone tried the icestation? see the link to an ebay auction. Do these really work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=4601

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:03 pm 

After having taken apart my icebook two times, I can tell you that the display backlight plugs in in the bottom left corner (to the left of the trackpad) so that is why pushing on it causes the issue to appear/disappear. It could be that the cable is just not seated well, or more likely that the port it plugs into is going bad. This is a classic issue with icebooks. Onlytrue fix is a new board. Bummer. Everything is on one board with the iBooks so it's not cheap.

Regarding that stand/fan thing... I use a laptop cooling base that works great- and you don't have to use an external keyboard for it. Seach ebay for laptop cooler and you'll find tons of them. These things are great for extending your 'book's like.

Post subject: ibook intermitant screen problem
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:47 am 

Check the apple website to see if your white ibook is one of those who qualify for a free replacement logic board. Video problems are the symtom and they recently extended the recall to December, 2004 so now is the time.
Check at http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:38 am 
Site Admin

The display cable is on the left hand side, and the inverter cable is on the right hand side, and neither is connected to the trackpad. There are several issues with displays on the white iBook model. If you get no video, that is usally a problem with the logic board itself, and may be covered under their warranty extension program. However if you get video that is very dim or that goes out when you move the display, that is a problem with your inverter cable, and that problem is increasingly more common. You can order the inverter cable from our online store at the link below:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/cu ... t=0&page=1

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]