Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: ibook drive "missing"
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:34 pm 
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the best steps to take to fix a problem. I was in the middle of using my 700 Mhz 14" iBook when, in the middle of the operation, the cursor got stuck on "busy", and just sat there. Eventually, I had to restart, and got the folder icon with the question mark, and now the iBook can't seem to find the hard drive or optical drive. I've done all the usual resets, but no luck.

I took out the drive to troubleshoot, and my PC laptop saw it just fine. I also tried booting with just the CD drive or hard drive attached to the ribbon cable, but the ibook could never see either of them.

The apple service manual suggests replacing the cable, then the logic board if that fails. Has anyone ever had success replacing the ribbon cable? Also (since I'm some someone from the site will read this), are the ribbon cables for the 12" and 14" ibook interchangable, and do you carry any in stock? I guess if the ribbon cable is bad, I'll probably limp along booting from a firewire drive until I eventually buy a new iBook.

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and respond to this long post :)

Stacey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:43 am 
Site Admin

Stacey,

The cables should be interchangeable. We stock the cables usually. If you can't find them at the online store, email us and we'll get you the part you need. We currently have both in stock. It's odd that your unit won't boot from the cd...are you using the cds that came with your computer? The iBook is very very picky about what it will and won't boot from, so you could just be looking at something simple like that. You can also send the unit to us, and we can fix you up.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]