Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: ibook G3 Display problem??? Please help
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:33 am 

I own a white ibook G3 with dual USB and have been recently experiencing some problems with my display (possibily logic board related) and I wanted to get some help from anybody with experience.

I have recently replaced its logic board by myself using the service manual the the powerbookmedic.com offers, and the problem was temporarily resolved, but soon reoccurred after two weeks.

The initial symptom:
the screen becomes filled with static and eventually freezes when a light pressure or shock is applied to the computer body.

Eventually:
the monitor does not turn on even when I reboot (it is black). However, the computer seems to be working, and possibly at the login screen, since I can hear the 'popping' sound when I press some of the keyboard bottons such as the the enter key or the volume key.

Since the logic board is new (bought from a private party through ebay) I am hoping that it did not get damaged again, due to some exsisting problem in the computer.

I am hoping that replacing the inverter board, the display cable, or display or all three will help solve the problem, but I wanted to be sure before purchasing more parts.

Could anybody help me with this problem?

Thank you.

Atsuro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

when the screen is working, does adjusting the screen tilt change it at all? If it does.. it sounds like a possible ribbon cable issue that possibly got temporarily resolved when you replaced the logic board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:04 am 

Thanks for your response justin-pbmedic. Unfortunately the screen does not work at any tilt. Do you have any other suggestions to narrow down the problem? I tried hooking my ibook up to another monitor via VGA adaptor (USB) but the monitor sees no signal. I remember there is supposed to be a way to toggle the screen (apple + some key) but I did not do anything since I don't remember the key to press.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:05 am 
Site Admin

it should be automatic.. just make sure the ibook is off. connect the adapter.. connect it to the tv, turn the tv onto the proper input, and turn the ibook on. at the end of boot it should be on the tv.

powerbook's have a hotkey to switch, but as far as i know, ibook's automaticly recognize the adapter and switch to external

Post subject: Re: ibook G3 Display problem??? Please help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:14 pm 

As you are all aware of, both the G3 and early G4 iBooks are really plagued with faulty logic boards. It seems changing out the logic board is like a universal truth when dealing with faulty iBooks. But I have yet to find out exactly _what_ the problem with these boards are. So what I want to know is the source of these problems. The more technical - the better.....

Post subject: Re: ibook G3 Display problem??? Please help
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

Most of the issues is with the GPU on these boards. Sometimes the connections for the GPU get loose. It is sometimes possible to resolder these connections, but the cost of this process from most companies is more than the board is worth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]