Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: replacing Logic Board
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:28 am 

I have an iBook G3 500 Mhz Dual USB and was wondering if it's possible to replace the logic board with one from a faster iBook? Do iBook logic boards always have to be replaced with the same specification board the computer came with? My computer works fine but it would be nice to make it quicker, increase the VRAM etc. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:43 am 
Site Admin

You can upgrade it to a 600mhz with no problems. If you want to upgrade it beyond that, you can, but you have to change other internal components as well.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:23 pm 

Well my HD is only 10 Gb, so I would probably upgrade that anyway. Is there anything else inside there that would have to change? And do the faster boards accept Airport extreme? Then I could buy an extreme card instead of the slower original card. Would a G4 board fit in this thing? I plan on getting a desktop computer in the near future. After that, I wouldn't mind experimenting on this thing to make it quicker. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:13 am 
Site Admin

The hard drive is one of the things that wouldn't have to be changed. You can only use G3 boards (not G4), and you can not put an extreme card into these models. What you have to change depends on which model you upgrade it to. Usually the rib frame and fan are the two components which need replacing.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]