Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: new modem not recognized?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:11 pm 

I have just installed an Apple 56K internal modem in my ("new") PB G3 series 233/0 which didn't originally come with one. The internal modem doesn't seem to be recognized by the Modem CDEV software, the only available choice is the serial modem/printer port. Remote Access does attempt to dial up. I get an error message to check the modem settings, reset the modem, etc.

I installed it per the service manual: AC unplugged, etc. and I have tried the following: power reset; PRAM reset; cold startup.

Perhaps I don't have all the necessary software installed, as this (used) machine came with the OS already installed.

Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

It is most likely a software issue. The modems are sometimes quirky...especially in a 233. I'm not exactly sure what software you need. Your best bet would be to get your original software cd and reinstall the software.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:52 pm 

Thanks, I do have a few Apple resource CD's which might cover the period of this PowerBook model's release. However, I'm not sure if it's so wise to start installing older CDEV's and extensions into OS 9.2 as a troubleshooting routine. How will I be able to adequately judge which software has the potential to recognize the modem? Some other, new conflict might also cause the modem to not be recognized.

Do you know of a way to test the internal modem connection other than with the communications software? Like some freeware perhaps?

In the meantime I'll be digging through those older CD's...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:28 am 
Site Admin

The modem software should be easily recognized...as I recall there is an extension called apple modem....I could be wrong though. The name will give it away. The problem could be motherboard related, though the odds aren't too good.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:15 am 

I can report success with the internal modem recognition! :D

I started with the earliest of the Apple modem updaters, the "PB G3 Series Modem 1.0.2" which installs an extension imaginatively entitled: "PB G3 Series Modem" and which allows the Modem CDEV to recognize the internal modem as well as the printer serial port. This was followed by a successful dialup.

I next attempted to update the firmware with "Apple Modem Updater 1.3.5" but the installer noted that the modem currently had this installed (the v.90 protocol). BTW, this updater is a package and it contains the items included in the top updater, but which you must install manually.

I am not sure if it was installed by the first updater, but a script for the PB G3 internal modem is installed in the Extensions folder/Modem Scripts folder, and needs to be selected from the Modem CDEV.

Thanks,
inkitover

Post subject: help with my modem...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:08 am 
Hi, was reading your post, I'm haveing the same issue. My PB came w/ an internal but wil not reconize it. In fact I just purchased a replacement, and same issue... so it's not the modem. Please explain where I can find the correct script or extension.
Thanks lots; Gary :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Gary,

See inkitover's reply. You need to go back to an earlier version of your modem extension and reinstall the software so a modem script will be installed. It works for most people.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:26 am 

Hello Gary A;
I downloaded the updaters from Apple's site. Sometimes it takes a few searches to find what you need. Here's the quickest way to the updaters:

http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html
Click on the link on middle right hand side for Powerbook G3

You'll get a page with a listing of all 44 Powerbook updater links but you can narrow the search here, on the top right, by inserting the keyword "modem" into the existing search string thusly:
g3 powerbook modem kbdload
and click "search"; you'll get about 6 hits

Read the updater read-me's before installing them. These are the updaters I installed, in order, on my PB G3/233:

1) PB G3 Series Modem 1.0.2.smi
Easily installs a new extension; restarting allowed my modem to work fine; after restart go to Modem control panel (CDEV) and select port "internal modem" and modem script for internal modem then test dialup with Remote Access cdev

2) Apple Modem Updater 1.3.5.img
I didn't need to install this one because the firmware of the modem had already been updated. The installer figured this out. This installer also includes the above extension but you must manually install it.

3) Z-Apple Modem Updater.smi
contains a newer firmware updater. I installed this one also. make sure you read the instructions on these firmware updaters. Modem works fine.

If you are using your modem to access a network there are other updaters. To keep things simple, only install the updaters you think you need, and test the modem between updaters. If you're not getting a dialup after the first one, try the second one. I had OS 9.2.2 already installed and it didn't include the extension. I believe this extension will work for OS 8.1 and up, and possibly earlier. Good luck!

:D
-inkitover

Post subject: modem
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:30 am 
Hi, thanks for all the info! Well, in the mean time I've loaded a 9.0.4 OS I had . After doing that, the modem was reconized, but will not dail up in AOL,and is not found in AOL's modem search. I also tried loading the updater 1.3.5 but it wouldn't take, it found a more recent update(OS 9?). Anyway, thats where I am, oh I tried finding the 1.0.2smi no luck.
OS 9 had extn for the G3 modem and scripts but still no dail-up.
I would really appreciate any more advise!
Thank's lots; Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:43 pm 

Gary;
Try manually installing the other parts that come with the 1.3.5 updater, like the extension and modem script(s); read the instructions in the "read-me" that comes in the installer. You can first check your 9.0.4-installed extension version with the one that comes with the udater to see if yours is newer. If yours is newer, you could drag it to the desktop to save it before installing the one from the updater.

Keep track of your actions and don't trash anything until it all works, in case you want to work back to a previous state. You can use the "label" feature to help keep track.

Also try the third updater: Z-Apple Modem Updater.smi which is a firmware updater.

BTW, here's Apple's ftp address for a few of the PowerBook updaters, including the 1.0.2 updater:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Su ... G3_Series/

I couldn't find the "z-apple modem" updater @ this ftp site.

Searching Apple's knowledge base will bring up dialup issues:
http://kbase.info.apple.com/index.jsp?l ... m=gs&dp=hp

Use a search string like "wallstreet modem updater" or some such. This is how I initially found my way to the updaters, kind of roundabout, but the articles may help you sort out things.

Your installed version of AOL may be a separate problem. Look for a newer version, search the web for info on your version's compatibility, etc.
If you have a way to dialup without AOL, that could eliminate one variable while testing.

Good luck!

:)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]