Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: WS PB dead after sound board "repair"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:22 am 
I have a Wallstreet edition Powerbook G3 laptop, which was given to me. Not sure how old it is, I think it's from '95 or '96--but I have 9.2.2 running on it and have taken it apart before to upgrade RAM without any problems. I've also taken apart other computers before to do small repairs and upgrades without any problems.

The internal AC plug on my laptop became loose a couple months ago, I found a way to prop the external adaptor plug so that it would still charge the battery. Last week it seemed it would not charge the battery anymore, no matter how I propped it. I read somewhere that the metal feet on the jack come loose and need to be sautered (sp?) back on. I took apart the laptop a few days ago and did the sautering, so that the jack is sitting solidly again. I put everything back together, all the connections are solid. As soon as it was all back together, it wouldn't come on, so I did a "reset" and the power light blinked, but that's the extent of it. It's done nothing since. I'm wondering if some other part died, or if having the sound/ac card hosed would cause my computer to stay off. My DH was wondering if maybe I need a new sound/ac card as well as a charger card?

Weird thing is, I am starting to believe that the display died just before I took it apart, because when I started taking it apart, and took the battery out, all 4 lights lit up when I checked it. That didn't make sense to me as the computer appeared to be off for a few days and before that the battery icon on the screen had shown the battery was out of reserve power.

As this laptop was given to me, I'm not looking to spend a lot of $ to send it out for repairs, am hoping to replace parts myself. If it's hosed entirely somehow I'll just Just not sure exactly what is causing the problem. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. :-)

Thanks,
Katherine :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry for the late reply. We've been trying to get our online store back online. Most likely you'll need to replace your Sound / AC Board with a new one. Soldering the joints rarely fixes the problem, and most of the time it makes the problems worse. One thing you can try before you spend some cash is to take the processor out, and then put it back it making sure it is firmly in place.

About your batteries not charging...it's a common problem, and you'll have to replace your charger board.

All parts are available from our online store.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: Thanks, Bradley
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:55 am 
:lol:

I actually took my laptop apart a couple more times, made absolutely sure that all the connections were firmly in place, and still nothing. hehe... My DH said go ahead and order the sound/AC board, which I did this weekend. I am grateful for the low prices here! The battery lights show it's fully charged, I'll have to wait and see if it is accurate or if that battery is just hosed, but I do have another one. I may still order the charger board too, it's cheap enough anyway! If all that doesn't work, it's off to the closest Apple Store, hehe...

Thanks again for your help,
Kath

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]