Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: FAN AND GREEN LED ON ~ NOT BOOTING?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:50 am 

Just replaced the top case and pwr/charge board and LCD display of my Wallstreet 233. Now as soon as I plug in the AC adapter the fan and green LED come on, the hard drive is spinning but no startup chimes and no display. I can reset power management using the fn+shift+ctrl keys and doing so the fan and LED go off but soon as I release them the fan/LED come back on. Did I miss something in the re-assembly or is there a board issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

It could be a couple of things. Did you make sure to seat the processor correctly in reassembly? If so, then you are possibly looking at a processor or PMU failure.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject: very similar problem
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:15 pm 
I have a Wallstreet 300 MHz experiencing similar problems:
When you plug it into the wall, the internal fan and the green sleep light come on and stay on. Pushing the power button by itself doesn't do anything - in fact no input other than the PMU reset with Ctr-Fn-Shft-Power works.

When you do reset the PMU with the laptop plugged in, the light and fan go off and stay off, but in this seemingly normal state again no input is detected, including pushing the power button by itself. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the only input detected is the PMU reset key combo again.

I strongly suspect either the processor/logic board or power manager card has failed. Is there any way to be sure of this, for example with a multimeter?

Secondly...how much would a perfectly good Wallstreet 300/320 MB RAM/20 GB HD fetch with one of the above mentioned components broken? Would I get more money if I were to scrap it and sell the parts individually?

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Start with the processor. It is the likely culprit in both of these situations. A broken wallstreet in your condition would fetch around $200.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject: Problem Solved!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:58 pm 

The problem with the fan/led staying on was fixed by replacing the PMU board. All working fine and on OSX 10.28/OS 9.22 ~ thanks for the info!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]