Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Upgrade RAM & HD now intermittent clicking on Power on.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:30 am 
I just ugraded to 512 Meg and a 40 gig Toshiba drive on my 300 MHz Wallstreet. Now having startup problems. Press POWER button and get, either boot chime and everything fine , or clicking as described by mgs on July 24 '03 (below). Can't tell what gets it working again..Opening it up and checking connections...Reset(fn-Shift-Ctrl-Power) Zapping PRAM or.... Friend suggests PMU may need help? Is that likely or is the new RAM and HD near limits for "normal" PMU, etc. In other words, too much of an upgrade? I'm not machine-less yet but I have to go on the road in a week or two and can't afford to lose it then.

Thanks for any info you may have.
Jim

<snip>
When I press the power key, with the AC adapter disconnected, the green light does not come on and the machine does not boot. However, as long as I hold the power key down, there is a ticking sound (about 1 tick per second) from the left-hand speaker and the screen flickers a tiny amount (about once every 2 or 3 seconds) but it is barely visible, as the screen remains almost black.

If I do the same thing with the AC adapter plugged in, the machine still doesn't boot, but the ticking sound has a higher frequency (maybe 3 ticks per second).
<snip>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:39 am 
Site Admin

There is a good chance it is the PMU or logic board. I'd check to make sure your processor card is seated correctly before I tried anything else though.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]