Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: No power G3 250 13": fix, sell., or send in for repair?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:38 pm 
This powerbook has a broken left hinge, monitor wavy fixed by sqeeuze--the typical problem that I can live with but...

Like others in the forum, it seems to have power problems...

Now the system will not power up. Might just be sound card or pmu or battery charge unit or all of the previous... had the sound card fixed a few years ago but this seems a bit different with earlier symptoms as battery charging/powering for the unit a few months earlier. But the only way to get power to the machine before in use death was to prop up the plug going into the sound card.

Was thinking of ordering the above parts from you and returning them (minus restock) if I could not get it to work--or sending it to you for repair--or selling it to to part out... Those seem to be the options...

Plastics are mostly in fair shape... Has added 128MB ram module just added..

The machine has bee a real road performer for five years... I would miss it but it may be time to move on, since I still would have the screen and hinge issue remaining...

Should I just order the sound card and battery charger and see if that is the fix or send it in to repair? I bet the PRAM battery also needs replacing... $ really start to add up... I have no problem pulling it apart.

Thanks for taking the time if you can reply with a repair quote... I am in Santa Monica so atleast shipping would be quick and less expensive...

Jim Redden ReddenFX@aol.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:23 am 
Site Admin

For the display, you are probably better off buying a new display for $189.95. That would fix both of your problems, and possible future problems as well. The power problem is probably your sound / AC board or PMU. It could possibly be the power/charger board. It's difficult to say from what you describe. It may be worth it to fix if you like your unit, otherwise selling would be another viable option. In total you are probably looking at around $250-$350 for a repair.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]