Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: powerbook display is acting up when booting up
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:44 pm 
My 1998 233mhz wallstreet running os x with 284 ram is acting up. over the last month or so whenever i boot up the screen has all kinds of horizontal line distortion, after a restart it seems ok. in the last few days, after restart, it is ok after i hit the screen brightness button. the ac/sound card was replaced several months ago, and the battery does not hold a charge. Help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:23 am 
Site Admin

Wallstreets aren't completely compatible with OSX, so you might want to try an older version to see if the display problem is just a display driver issue. If it shows up in both situations, you'll have to replace your Wallstreet's display. You can get those from our online store or from an Apple repair center.
With the battery problem, if you are just saying your old battery won't hold a charge, you just need to buy a new or working one. If you meant your batteries won't charge up at all while the power adapter is plugged in, you'll need to replace the charger board. You can get both at our online store as well.

Post subject: Powerbook display
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:02 am 
I was advised by macfixit that the problem relates to the logic board. does the logic board drive the display? Also can I try booting in classic mode to do your driver test? I hate to have to reload os x for a driver test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure how they can jump to that conclusion without testing it. You can send it to us and for $65 + parts, we will test out everything and get it back to you. Logic Board is the last thing to test with a Wallstreet repair, but if they gave you a detailed analysis, please post it here, so we can see if its valid.

Post subject: powerbook display
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:25 pm 
they did not give my an analysis, juts a guess based on my description of the problem. i booted up using 9.2.2 as the start up disk and the problem went away. i ran disk utilities off the jaguar install disk and problem seems to be reduced, guess i just need to thank you and order a battery that will take a charge, thanks for saving me a lot of aggrevation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:02 am 
Site Admin

no problem, glad we could help, and after looking at our records, we had a powerbook with a problem very similar to what you described and everything was fixed with a new display, we didn't have to touch to the logic board.

thanks for posting, we are hoping this forum will be able to help the masses with not only pbmedic employees answering but others as well, so you can get a near instant reply rather than waiting for us to get around to your emails.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]