Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wallstreet 233 died while away
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:33 pm 
I stored my PB 233 for 18 months. The HD is dead...just hear a repetive clunk, clunk. Will boot from a CD. Battery won't charge and the PRAM looks like it failed. The serial number sticker is rubbed off and can't read it from the PRAM. I'm going to order a new HD. Where else do I start?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Do you batteries not charge, or are they not recognized by the computer? As in, does your computer see that you have a battery? If your computer doesn't even recognize the battery, you'll need a replacement battery. W're adding that part on the site today. As far as the PRAM battery, if your computer resets the date everytime you start up, you need a replacment, otherwise it sould be ok. We'll have this part available on our site today as well.

Post subject: Mine too!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:47 pm 
What a coincidence!!!!

The exact same thing's happened to me here!!! Had this one (Wallstreet 233mhz) stored away in its case for a while (for how long I can't remember, maybe a year or so).... and had the EXACT same symptoms afterwards!! (Clunk, clunk HD, a dead battery that's not charging..., and dates that needs to be adjusted accordingly (dead PRAM)...

Now I'm curious.... any idea how something like this could have happened to two people???

Anyway... so far I've replaced the HD (works fine) and I'm just getting round to checking whether I need new batteries (going to test the hardware at a friend's before I actually decide to invest)...

However, so far I've noticed 2 small concerns..

1: the mac can sometimes tend to sleep when it's working on long processes (slows dramatically unless I keep the thing awake by moving the cursor)

2: the bottom of the thing can get damn hot!!! it's been a while but can someone tell or remind me if these things can get that hot??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

Batteries and hard drives do not take to prolonged amounts of storage...Batteries especially. When your date and time resets, that means it is time for a new PRAM. If your battery doesn't charge, most likely your battery is dead, I'd try a new battery first. If that doesn't solve it, then your charger board has gone bad.

As for your other concerns, the Wallstreet is not a fast computer by any means, and when you ask it to do something complex, it will take some time. Also, the Wallstreet runs very hot...it's a problem inherent in every powerbook, but the Wallstreet moreso than others.

-Bradley

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]