Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: DVD Player for Wallstreet w/OS X?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:32 pm 
I was so happy when I realized I could put OSX on my Wallstreet; since I'm running on a smaller HD I didn't install 9, just X. Now I come to find that the new dvd player won't run on the Wallstreet - but Apple DVD player only wants to run in Classic. Is there a software dvd player that will run under OS X on the Wallstreet?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

You might try a program called videolan from videolan.org. It's in development but a good program. I haven't tested it with a Wallstreet, but it's one of the most compatible programs out there. If that doesn't work then you're probably out of luck. OSX isn't supported by Apple on the Wallstreet, so a lot of features aren't available in OSX.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:48 am 
I spoke with an Apple tech about this and his response was that the amount of video ram that OS X requires is just too much for the Wallstreet to handle when running a DVD. I've been running OSX for quite some time now and the only problem that I've really noticed is that I can't play DVD movies. The graphics sometimes get a little slow, especially when running PowerPoint but I really have no complaints about switching to OSX. I'm running 10.2.6 with 320 MB RAM on a 30 gig hard drive with a 400 processor. I plan to upgrade to a new machine since Apple told me that the video ram can NOT be upgraded at all.

Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Did you try other software solutions such as VideoLan from videolan.org?

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: Apple DVD Player in Classic and VideoLan in OS X
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:54 pm 

I invested in a DVD-ROM and card to just be disappointed. Hopefully someone can tell me how I can solve my problem. I have a Wallstreet which I have upgraded with Sonnet's G4 500 Mhz processor, maxed to 512 RAM. Installed Panther (which runs better than Jaguar), upgraded to 80 Gig drive. OK OK I have realize now I could have bought a good G4. However it is really a clean Wallstreet. Well, I have ran into what has been described before about the DVD player not working in OS X. I tried Classic version 2.7 and it says it can not work on this Macintosh. Error Code -301. Which I looked up and it means "smCRCFail"--- CRC check failed for declaration data[/quote]. What does this mean and is there a fix for it? If I am booted into Classic. So, I was told about this great VideoLan. It shudders (very choppy), so I followed their suggestion on a possible fix and realized no change. So what can I do? I believe I upgraded a 233 Wallstreet. Would changing the logic board with a 300 Mhz make any difference? I have one laying around. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:59 am 
Site Admin

What is your display size, and do you have an active or passive screen? Changing the logic board will only make a difference if you originally had a 12.1" screen on your unit. These boards had an inferior video card on the logic board as opposed to the larger display versions.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:14 pm 

I have the large wallstreet 14.1 inch. thanks, hope you have something pithy and inexpensive as a fix. I am all ears.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]