Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dead, but spining HD when i try to boot-up
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:24 pm 
Last week i was having poblems with my lombard 400, it was acting slugish so i restarted to see if that helped at all. Then nothing happed, no display, no nothing but the HD is still spining. I came back the next day to deal with it and it did start up, but still had the slugishness. So the next time i went to start it up nothing happen, just like before. Any ideas on what the problem is? I currently have no way to access anything it is dead aside from the HD and the startup chime.

Also, if it is dead for whatever reason, is there a way to put my HD into my g4 tower. Will it fit?

Post subject: Powerbook HD into G4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:37 pm 
Your Powerbook drive will not go into a desktop unless you can find an adaptor of some kind. I'm not aware of any that will work on the internal IDE Bus.
You can buy an external enclosure to connect it via USB or Firewire.

Does your powerbook start from CD?
You could try a software restore, or reset the PRAM (cmd-'p'-'r' on startup), the NVRAM (cmd-'n'-'v' on startup) and reset the PMU *button on back)

If it still does it, try a clean install. If that fails, start looking at a hardware problem.

Post subject: starts up 1 or 2 times, but crashes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:10 am 
After several hours of not using it, my powerbook Lombard crashes soon after startup. By the third or fourth try, I think I can hear the disk spinning, but there is no light, no screen, no fan.

I've swapped out the HD. I've added RAM. I've tried booting while zapping the PRAM. And I've used the reset button on the back. It helped very briefly.

On a successul startup I often get the "detected a problem with cache memory" message. For similar (not exactly the same) problems posted in this forum there has been a lot of talk about L2 cache going bad.

Quote:
Your L2 cache has/is going bad. The only solution is to replace the processor. If you wait, to long it will cause the entire processor to fail and possibly cascade into other parts of the hardware system. --Ted Boliske

and

Quote:
Open Apple System Profiler.If it reads L2 Cache 0k, you have bad cache. (should be 512k or 1M)

This one confuses me. If it says its OK, that means it's NOT OK? In my case it said there was no L2 cache.

If it's the L2 cache, do I replace only the cache? Does it mean that I probably SHOULD replace the processor as well, or that I HAVE to? Or do I have to replace the whole logic board? Are they inseperable anyway?

Is it possible that instead/or in addition I need a new fan, too?

Post subject: L2 Cache goes bad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:11 am 
I think he means 0k, i.e. zero k!

I believe that the L2 cache is on the processor card and therefore means replacing the entire (easily done) processor card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

The L2 cache is on the daughtercard (which also has the processor so is calledjust the processor sometimes) The only way to fix the problem is to replace the daughtercard / processor. We have several options including an upgrade at the link below:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/cu ... hp?cat=340

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]