Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Does anyone have any experience with this power issue?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:19 pm 
I have a Lombard that I've been trying to fix. It got the infamous cache memory error, so I figured I'd deal as the problem usaully get sprogressively worse but will not disable the machine all at once. However, the power was extremely intermittent; i.e to start up I'd have to bypass resetting power manager and PRAM and physically disconnect PRAM from logic board. once reconnected, the mahcine would power on 2 out of 3 times at least. I got sick of this, and decided to replace the DC board. This worked fine until I booted into OSX and got a kernel extension error. Aie! So I replaced the logic board with a used one I had sitting around. OSX reinstalled fine but the machine would then freeze upon startup. I then tried to boot from a utilities CD and the startup chime made a sound as though the speaker had been kicked in (try to visuallize that happening!) SO I replaced the top case, with no lock - the sound still persisted. Back to the drawing board - I put the old logic board back in. As the chime still sounded bad, I figured the new power board must have been bad, and put the old one in. Now nothing can make this amchine boot. The one thing I have not replaced is the processor card. I guess I don't really want to face the bad news that the switching of parts has finally blown the processor! I'm just wondering if anyone would agree that the processor is now dead. All the parts I have switched in are known good (I'm a tech and I used all the extra parts we have lying around our service department to test). Any other ideas before I give up? (I'm not interested in buying a processor card right now).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:59 am 
Site Admin

You should have started by replacing the processor. The cache error causes frequent freezes. Sometimes your unit will work fine, then it will just die on you...then work fine. Replacing your processor will fix you right up.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]