Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: cache problem or something else?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:32 am 
I have a Lombard 400 and 2 months ago the L2 cache died. I’m still able to use it but system profiler reports 0 K L2 cache size, the powerbook is slower and sometimes it hangs up for a few seconds, to restart I must reset it in the back and the directory structure gets corrupted very often (I have to rebuild it once a week with diskwarrior).
I bought a used processor daughter card in order to solve this problem. When I installed it the computer worked well and all the problems that I have mentioned before disappeared. However after 3 hours I let the powerbook go to sleep mode and it never worked again (I couldn’t restart it in any way). I reinstalled my old processor (without L2 cache) and the computer is working again, but with the same old problems.
The guy who sold me the processor tells me that there must be something wrong with my hardware that destroys the processors because he tested the processor and it was ok. Is this possible? Please help me!

Post subject: Sometimes the cache memory chip just dies on ya
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:06 pm 
A known issue among the lombards is that nearly 10% of the processor cards that shipped with the machines had cache memory chips that went bad. Usually the problem seems to get worse and worse and seems to affect the other hardware. For example, a processor card that has a bad cache memory chip will slowly cause the sound/DC board to fail, causing the machine intermittently fail to power up. This in turn will affect the logic board; as anything from a simple power manager reset to a complete disconnect of all cables (the most obvious being the PRAM battery) will be necessary in order for the machine to start up. Conversely, once the other cards have started providing erratic power, the new processor card that is put in may possibly short out after there is a power change of any kind, cush as putting the machine to sleep. In lombards especially there seems to be this sort of two-way effect where one bad card will cause the others to begin to fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:57 am 
Site Admin

I've seen it before, but most of the time the new chip can't be ruined by your current hardware. In my expert opinion I'd say you were sold a bad chip. I'd ask for a replacement.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]