Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dead Lombard - What part to order?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:44 pm 
Alright, this is going to be a bit long, sorry about that. About a year ago my Lombard was humming along is OS X just fine. I put it to sleep. When I tried to wake it up, it turned off completely and has been almost completely dead ever since. I've messed around with it off and on and, when I finally had the time, I completely disassembled it to see if anything obvious was amiss. Sadly enough, everything seems fine.

So here's the deal: if I use the reset on the back I can get the light that blinks when the computer is asleep to come on and the hard drive spins up. None of the keys on the keyboard or the power button do anything at this point (or any other, for that matter). Pressing the reset button again causes the light to go out and the hard drive to shut off. The first thing I did was to change the pram battery. Nothing. Then I tried the computer with every possible combination of RAM I have. Nothing. I disconnected the keyboard. Nothing. The battery is now, obviously, dead, but the power adapters both seem to still work. The computer does exactly the same thing (light on, hard drive spins up) regardless of what's connected or disconected (including processor daughtercard removal). In sum, the computer only shows any sign of life when the reset button is pushed. As soon as it's pushed again, though, the computer goes dead. The power button and keyboard produce no effects no matter what combination one might use. The computer makes emits no chimes or other sounds, but when it is plugged into the adapter after being off of it for awhile the screen backlights briefly light up and then go out.

It seems to me that it's probably the processor card that's gone bad, but I don't really know. I'll happily buy whatever needs to be replaced (processor, mobo, power supply . . . ) but I don't know what I need. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Most likely you're looking at a bad processor. There's a chance it may be the mobo, but I'd put my mooney on the processor.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: I fixed mine sort of.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:17 am 
Hey. My lombard did the same thing. However, using an os 9 CD in the cd drive, i was able to get it to boot. What I did was, I pressed the reset button and the power button repeatedly and at the same times and a little bit off times like crazy. I mean I pressed them very fast and in different sequences. Eventually, like after 100 presses or more, it booted. It shocked the fire outta me.

The sort of part. Now, I can boot all the time with the CD. But it doesn't recognize my hard drive. Drive setup tells me it is there and that it is not initialized. When I try to initialize it, it goes thru the process but ultimately it say "initilization failed". That is where I am stuck now.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:29 am 
Site Admin

From what you describe, the logic board may be faulty, but we'd need the unit to make an accurate diagnosis on this one.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]