Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cooling PowerLogix Card
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:13 pm 
OK, I got the card. When it works, it works great! However, the fan comes on after only a few short minutes and I know I have only a short amount of time before it crashes. So, I've been doing the Thermal-Paste Mambo. Though I'm told that eventually I'll hit upon the magic dose of the stuff, there must be a better way. I don't want to believe that PowerLogix sells cards that overheat all of the time. Any advice?
Thanks,
B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have the copper heat shield properly installed as well? The heat shield and the gel should do the trick.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: Cooling PowerLogix Card
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:16 pm 
Yup,
I've got the copper in there. I will open it up again and see if I can't go through the steps again. Some places advocate the purchase of Artic-3 Silve Thermal Paste. Others warn against it. The thing that is so frustrating is that all of the voodoo involved seems to indicate that PowerLogix just doesn't have a fool-proof method; or if they could offer a companion heatsink with pre-seated copper...something.
Thanks for the response.
B.

Post subject: Powerlogix Voodoo Processor Garbage
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:06 am 

The Powerlogix processor for the Lombard is a piece of Voodoo garbage.
I know - I wasted many, many days trying to get the thing to work and finally (after many, many e-mails) got them to take the piece of junk back.

If you like the constant whine of the fan blowing at gale force, the computer crashing, you can never put the computer to sleep (Powerlogix tells you to disable the energy saver functions), like to try use voodoo to find the magic right amount of thermal paste (not too much, or not too little - whatever that is) on that low-tech, too-thick copper coin of a heat sink that lays ontop of the processor that they give which causes your keyboard to buldge slightly anytime you go inside your computer, then do buy a Powerlogix processor.
You, too, can enjoy the frustration and madness of trying to get the thing to work, scouring the internet for discussions on this poorly engineered Rube Goldberg contraption Powerlogic is trying to foist on the unsuspecting public.

Oh and Powerlogix customer support - worthless. No toll-free number and their support website says they only answer e-mails when they feel like it.

I suggest you start the process of returning this processor ASAP! If not, you will end up like most other PowerLogix customers that remove it, put back in the old one or live with the crashing and fan noise and chalk it up to a stupid decision to buy this voodoo garbage processor...

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Some of the first revisions of the processor upgrade did have problems, but from everyone I spoke with Powerlogix was quick to fix them. They offer a one year guarantee on their products. I've sold a good many of these cards in the last year, and none of my customers have had any problems.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:11 pm 

Buy one, put it in your Lombard and run it for a day, week, month and then come back and tell us how it works.
If you like the near constant roar of the laptop fan, regular random crashes, it won´t sleep (if you have OS 9 in it), having to put thermal paste on a copper coin everytime you open up the insides of the computer and a new, slightl buldge in the keyboard in the "e,d,f" key area - go for it!

PowerLogix plays the customer service game of you can´t get support from the seller, just them - so no one knows how bad these processor rip-offs are.
-Go to http://www.xlr8yourmac.com and look up the complaints there for the Powerlogix processor.
-Or here: http://www.powerlogix.com/support2/message/index.php

By the way, I ordered mine on January 26, 2003 it arrived on April 29, 2003 - I sent it back on May 21, 2003.
They even agreed the processor sucks - that´s why they "refunded" the money.
And you say it has a 1 year guarantee - no way (actually their website states a 2-year hardware warranty - whatever that means - but don´t believe it!) I had a very difficult time sending it back within the "30 days money back guarantee" (they would take a week or more to reply to an e-mail) then the people I bought it from would not refund the money because of PowerLogix , but gave me a credit for the current price of the processor - $20+ less then I paid.

All-in-all a very bad experience with PowerLogix.
I hope nobody else has to go through what I did with PowerLogix, but from all the complaints of others I have read, it is not unusual at all.

Post subject: PowerLogix
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:14 pm 
Get this:

"I've heard good results about replacing the modem with the Pizmo fan and even though it's involved, I believe it to be the best mod for cooling.

Thanks!

jsn

------------------------------------------

Jason Wolf / PowerLogix Support"

The response to my email should be included on every page on the PowerLogix site that mentions the BlueChip LS. I find this outrageous. At least I'm in good company. So, now I guess I need a new PowerBook.
:-(

B.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]