Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Overheating and 30 second pseudofreezing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:43 am 
My Lombard has been overheating for quite some time and now as started the pseudofreezing mentioned in another query. Do I need a new fan, heat sync, or L2 cache. I was considering going to OS X, but if I can't repair these problems, I don't want to spend the money on new software. Also what kind of difference might I notice with the new Bluechip???
Any help would be appreciated.

IO in Reno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:46 am 
Site Admin

The odds are very good that your processor is failing. Specifically the L2 cache on your processor is going bad (hence the pesudo freezes) You'd notice marked improvement with the Bluechip G4 upgrade. If indeed it is the processor that is failing, I'd reccomend replacing it with a Bluechip upgrade. The Lombard processors are riddled with problems.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: Please read my thread.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:28 pm 
I would like you to consider buying a new PowerBook. I spent the money for the BlueChip upgrade and have had nothing but trouble. Based on the response that I recieved from PowerLogix, I get the impression that they are fully aware that their chip is too hot for the Lombard case; and yet are completely unwilling to fix the problem. To them it isn't a problem. When I asked them about it I got this response:

> > Benjamin,
> >
> > With all electrical components and products there are specs that have a range of operation... such as heat. There is never a set degree of operating temperature - there is a range. There is a temp. range for not only the processor, but the hard drive, the LCD, and the motherboard
components... now, put those components in a small plastic enclosure and factor in the range of heat dissipation of that small plastic enclosure... all these factors and ranges can be combined in a way that the machine can potentially run hot. That is what you are reading about on the web... just like a factory manufactured device can run "hotter" or "colder" than the next unit off the line - our processor cards can range in temp. and of course contribute to the heat factor Laptops naturally posses in the first place. It takes fine balance to build the fastest upgrade possible yet keep all these temperature ranges into consideration... I hope those thoughts suffice and satisfy your inquiry...

> > Thanks!
> >
> > jsn
> >
> > ------------------------------------------
> >
> > Jason Wolf / PowerLogix Support

Well, not really Jason, though I did appreciate the quick response. What would satisfy me would be a product that behaved as advertised. If PowerLogix is unable to figure out a way to balance all of the heat issues, then they should not put their product on the market. It really doesn't make any sense.

All I can tell you is that my Lombard was my first laptop. I love it and it has served me well. I think the new enclosures are interesting; but I prefer the black, smooth curves, and the substantial feel of the G3's to the metallic, rectangular, thinner G4's. I'm just telling you that I understand your wish to save your computer; unfortunately, PowerLogix is not the answer.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]