Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: reviving logic board after wine spill
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:57 pm 

Macbook 13" (model A1342). White wine spill on keyboard, computer failed, and instead of immediate shut down, battery removal, etc., family members tried to turn on again repeatedly. Computer was shelved, battery was never disconnected. Two weeks later, after reading tips online, I removed logic board and scrubbed with alcohol; also tried electronic contact cleaner; even tried baking logic board in oven (380 degrees, 7 and a half minutes). At start up the fan goes, the screen lights, you see the apple and a circle timer thing goes around, but no chime, and it shuts off after 10 seconds or thereabouts. Anything else I should try? If it's beyond repair that's fine, but any further tips would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: reviving logic board after wine spill
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

I would say it's not repairable at this point. Liquid spills are so unpredictable the longer they go without drying them up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:00 pm 

Just an update. I've managed (after cleaning logic board a couple of times) to get the machine to boot -- I get the chime and get to the system log-in screen -- but it shuts down before I can do much. I've made it past the log-in to the desktop, but it immediately says "Sure you want to shut down?" then does it for me. It shuts off every time -- roughly 15 seconds in. Have no idea what this likely indicates, but it's probably nothing good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:32 am 

Just an update -- if I tapped the trackpad, or even held down a nontyping key (like the fn key, bottom left), the machine worked -- it wouldn't try to shut down -- so at that point it was likely a keyboard/top case issue. Whether previous scrubbing of the logic board helped is unclear. Replaced the top case (new one on eBay) and now it works fine.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]