Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Twist on Old Backlight Story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:13 pm 

I have a model A1181, late 2007 vintage.

After the laptop has been running awhile, moving (rotating) the display from a viewing position toward a vertical position will cause the backlight to go out. Further movement of the display will not turn the backlight back on, but F1 and F2 will every time. The backlight will not fail until the laptop has been running awhile. Once the backlight has gone out, it will go out consistently with movement. One time I was able to lightly tap the display bezel with my finger and without moving the display, get it to fail repeatedly.

I replaced the inverter cable and lvds display cable without success. Both were new. In hindsight I realize replacing the lvds display cable wasn't very bright.

Before replacing the inverter or display, I'm hoping to hear from someone that had these exact symptoms and will be willing to help me avoid another blind alley by sharing their solution. Unique diagnostic techniques (I don't have a spare inverter or display) and an explanation for these symptoms would be very helpful. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: New Twist on Old Backlight Story
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:39 am 
Site Admin

There are two places the inverter can get pinched. One is the inverter cable as you've tried. The other is the pair of cables coming from the LCD (usually white and pink). This is the LCD's inverter cables that connect to the inverter board on the other side. These sometimes get stuck underneath the LCD and get pinched by the LCD itself. I would make sure those cable look ok and reroute them. After that however, it still sounds like some cable is getting pinched and possibly when it does is temporarily shorting out the inverter board.

After checking the cables, however, the only other things it can really be is the inverter board or the LCD.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]