Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Possibly Fan problem?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:51 pm 

Okay, I'm not really sure what my problem is. Basically, my macbook(2008 unibody; baseline) is having problems with keeping cool. The fan doesn't increase in speed on it's own when it's 100% needed to prevent my macbook from overheating. Currently, it refuses to go past 2000rpm on it's own, so I downloaded smcFanControl and the max I'm getting out of the fan is 3600 which still isn't enough to keep my computer cool. My computer has hit 160F so far, and the average it's hitting is 110-125F when I'm doing basic stuff(such just watching a video in itunes even for just 2 minutes it goes up to 130F) .

Okay, let's break this up to prevent your eyes from dying. Anyways, Not only does basic stuff cause my computer to be so hot, using a DvD or possibly using youtube is just too much for it. It's also freezing at random points from the heating, my friend thinks the CPU might be damaged somehow and that's why the fan isn't doing it's job. I just want to see what others think about this before I put any money into fixing it.

Post subject: Re: Possibly Fan problem?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Have you looked at all the temperature sensors and see if one is faulty? You usually can use istat widget and see what each sensor is reading. It's possible one of the sensors is faulty. But since you say the max you smcfancontrol and the fan only goes up to 3600rpm, there may be a deeper issue. The fans I believe should go up to 6000. You may want to take it somewhere or send it to us to be diagnosed.

Post subject: Re: Possibly Fan problem?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:29 pm 

Hmmm, I can't really send it out until after school is done for spring term since none of my teachers accept hand-written work =\

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]