Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wi-Fi problems
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:48 pm 

Greetings,

I have a first gen 13.3in Macbook. The airport worked just fine until about a month ago. It started dropping signals on all networks I use as well as some adhoc networks. It got to the point where if I tried to turn the airport on then off it would not turn on again no matter if I did it in the bar up top or in network prefs. I did a PRAM and SMC reset with no luck. I reinstalled the OS with no luck.

I ordered a new airport card this one had 'N' abilities using your awesome guide I installed it with out a problem. It worked for about a day and the problem started with the new card. Could this be a motherboard problem or do I need new antennas? I've read all over of people having this problem but I can't seem to find a solution. Some reports are Apple was replacing the cards just as I have only to have the problem happen again. Even logic board and airport cards replaced and still the problem persists.

Would the same thing happen if I buy a usb wi-fi adapter? I can't be bothered with this anymore and who better to ask than you guys! Many thanks in advance if help can be provided.

Regards

Post subject: Re: Wi-Fi problems
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

If you leave the macbook sitting right next to the access point does it still have problems?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:49 pm 

The connection lasts a little bit longer. But still disconnects. My buddy's Powerbook and my iPod never have connection problems in all the locations I would use the Macbook. I'm not sure what's going on here. I called the Apple store today and he told me on the phone it is a problem but the only solutions they offer is A: Reinstall OS, B: Replace the Airport Card, C: Replace the logic board and airport card which he said isn't really fixing this problem. He was honest with me (probably no one else around) and directed me to a local computer store that sells USB Wi-Fi adapters that will fix the problem for good. I don't like having to have a stick popping out the side of my laptop that my son or large dog will walk by and rip off. I'd like a real solution since the replacement card doesn't seem to be working.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:59 am 
Site Admin

If it still has issues with you right up against the access point, it most likely won't be an antenna issue. It is more likely to be a software issue or an airport card issue as the Apple guy said.

Instead of reinstalling the OS, you can try creating a new user account and see if it still has problems. The new user will have basically a clean slate for all of your settings and makes the OS less likely to be the culprit if you still have problems.

Based on experience though, it is probably an airport card going bad.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]