Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Will a MacBook Work Without an LCD?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:55 pm 

Okay, so I've got a 13" MacBook (purchased in either late '08 or early '09, whatever generation that is), and the display has, shall we say, "passed on." This machine has been gifted to me and I've got the perfect use for it with an external display.

Question is this: If I remove the display completely without reattaching another LCD, only leaving an external connected, will the unit still work? Or does it require that a primary display be connected? Anyone know?

I sure would appreciate any insight into this. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Will a MacBook Work Without an LCD?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 am 
Site Admin

It should work. You may have to put it in mirroring mode prior to disconnecting everything though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:19 am 

Okay. Thanks. I'll try that and let you know if that works or not. I appreciate the response.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:43 pm 

Alright, so, using the incredibly helpful Medic PDF guide, I was able to successfully remove the entire display module from the MacBook. The only little caveat is the AirPort. The antenna is actually wired through outer left edge (looking at the screen) of the display module. So I took that apart, cut off the portion of the metal housing that the antenna was soldered to and rewired it through the empty hole where the hinge was previously. (See image below) This seemed to work just fine.

In any case, with the external display hooked up, it's working great! Thanks for all the help!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]