Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Macbook Dead after top case removal.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:51 pm 

I recently spilled some juice on the upper right hand corner of my keyboard. It only effected 7 or so keys, but nothing else. The macbook seemed to be working 100%, besides several sticky keys, until I decided to clean the keys. I saw the guide on how to take off the top case and I followed it exactly. I removed the top case and cleaned the keys. The only juice that made its way under the tope case was a few drops ontop of the superdrive,nothing else. So I replaced the top case, screwed everything back in, and its dead. Battery at 100%, no battery + wall charger, nothing will get this to turn on. I thought maybe I unseated one of the ram slots, so I cleaned both ram sticks off, reseated them and still nothing.
It seems like the logicboard is dead, but why would it have died just from disconnecting it? Any ideas here before I shell out a few hundred bucks for a new logicboard :- /

Post subject: Re: Macbook Dead after top case removal.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Does the adapter still light up when you plug it in? Does the sleep light come on when you hit the power button?

It could be a problem with the top case, the cable got disconnected when you put the case back on, or the logic board.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:20 am 

The charging light still lights up and it charges the battery fine. When I press the powerbutton nothing happens. No light, or anything.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

It is most likely just the cable from the top case to the logic board isn't plugged in correctly. If the sleep light on the front of the machine lights up though when you hit power, it may just be a loose memory chip.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:32 pm 

AT YOUR OWN RISK

You can test this by carefully using a screwdriver and putting it into the spot where the top case cable connects to the logic board. If you wiggle it, you can get the machine to power on that way. This would mean you do in fact have a bad top case/top case cable which are the same part.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:45 pm 

Screwdriver trick actually worked, so apparently it is a dead top case. Would just removing the top case cause it to die? I mean it was working 100% before I removed it. I followed the videos exactly and it came out pretty easily.
I also was able to boot it into mac os x just fine after getting it to turn on. Guessing my only way out is to buy a new top case for $120?

Post subject: Re: Macbook Dead after top case removal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:02 pm 

I have a similar problem. I open my macbook & now don't work.
But I found a contact in the connection of keyword&touchpad&power in the mother board, that make start of the power button & you can run the MAChine to control if all go right & the problem don't came from the mother board or other thinks.
take a little screwdriver & make a contact from up&down left electric metal (hot-wire).
My solution is that the problem came from keyword&touchpad&power & I buy a new one.
Good luck for all!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 am 

Oh, this is one of the problems that I don't want to encounter. As I mentioned in the other thread that I was planning to replace the LCD of my son's macbook but after reading this, I don't think I am ready to encounter any weird problems like this. I am not really a technical person and I don't want to stress myself.

Thanks for this information.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]