Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Logic Board RAM????
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:26 pm 

I have a Macbook 13" black 2.4Ghz, it dropped and doesn't start, when i turn it on sounds 3 beeps continuously, i put the right side RAM only and stops the 3 beeps but doesn't start, i put the left side RAM only and the 3 beeps are there, should i change the logic board???... I introduced a CD in the super drive and i can't extract it from the super drive, when i pulse the start button the super drive try to read the info, but it keeps working till i shut down the macbook by keep press the power button, should i change the super drive or is maybe a problem with the logic board???, Thanks for you help...

Post subject: Re: Logic Board RAM????
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

It's probably the logic board as you suspect. I would try any combination of RAM to the slots just to be sure, but its unlikely both chips are bad.

You may want to go into the machine and start unplugging unnecessary things just to confirm its not some other device causing problems. Disconnecting the airport module, hard drive, and superdrive is a good start.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:48 am 

I Have a similar problem regarding the RAM area. Same 13" and 2.4Ghz (A1181). My macbook has been banged by my little cousin. It gave the 3 beep sound. When I took out the RAM on the left side, it boots up fine running only 1GB. I'm guessing that left RAM side has been damage, but not the RAM memory itself, it still works. Do I have to replace the logic board RAM as well too? What should I do?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

I would try moving the working RAM chip to the other side and see if it starts beeping again. If it does, that slot is bad and the only fix is replacing the logic board. If it works though, that means that first chip you took out is bad. If the slot is bad, you may want to just max out that one working slot instead of buying a new board as that'll be much cheaper.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]