Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Power/Battery Issues
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:48 am 

So I've read most of the posts here concerning the battery problems people are having, and I have a fear that my logic board is ruined, but I just wanted to ask someone else's opinion. Here is what I am observing:

1) When a good battery is in the machine and the power adapter is plugged in, the light is green, but the battery is not charging (brand new battery, external indicator does not go up).
2) When the battery is removed, the power adapter turns orange, and the computer will not turn on.
3) The MacBook works fine as long as the battery has a charge (boots, and I started to install the OS, but the battery that Apple sent me only had a slight charge and so started to go dead before the OS install finished).

Steps already Taken:
1) Reset PRAM
2) Reset SMR
3) Tried known good battery

Let me know what you think. If it is not the logic board, I'll probably send it in to you guys for repair. If it is the logic board, I'll cannibalize this thing for parts.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Power/Battery Issues
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:30 am 
Site Admin

It definitely sounds like a logic board problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:52 pm 

Coffee syndrome... spilled some coffee on my MB.

It works just fine with the battery out of it, but only partially boots up with the battery installed. Spoked wheel goes on for extended interval then screen goes blue, & then black. Battery is fully charged by the lights on the back. Battery charges just fine (lights on back, & green or yellow charger cord lights operate as expected) with computer off.

If the computer is up on the power cord with battery out & the battery is installed it goes black. If the battery is pulled quickly it comes back up just fine.

Booted up on the install disc with no difference in performance.

Any way to reset the battery chip?

Any way to tell if the internal computer chips/circuitry is good/bad versus in the battery itself?

Many thanks,
Bill Winney

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:57 pm 

Thanks for the reply Justin. I think I'll use this as an opportunity to rip it apart and practice soldering a bit. :) Need any parts?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

We unfortunately don't have much use for anything except the logic boards. Good luck with the soldering.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]