Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Liquid Damage: Fan, logic Board or both?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:50 pm 

Hey all,

About two months ago I had a small spill on my macbook. After cleaning up the spill the computer seemed to be working fine. About a month later, a month ago, the fan kicked on immediately after booting up. It now comes on everytime I turn the computer on, it doesnt sound normal having a small purring sound.

I took it to the apple store to get it checked out, of course it came back with a liqid damage report. They said they couldnt do the repair there and would need to send it out to get fixed, the repairs would cost me 820 dollars. Unfortunately I dont have that kind of money, and of course my warranty doesnt cover liqid damage.

In the report they game me they said it could be the fan and/or the logic board. My question is what are the odds that it is indeed the logic board. Other then the fan running werid the computer works 100% fine. I have gotten my computer back from the store and now am wondering if I should just replace the fan.

Can someone please give me some advice.
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Liquid Damage: Fan, logic Board or both?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

liquid damage is usually going to kill the logic board first. with the fans going full speed on startup, that is a common logic board issue as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:31 pm 

Hey again. Thanks for the reply. I installed Istat to check the fans speeds. They arent going full speed by any means. At the moment they are at 2000rpms yet I can hear them inside. Other then that tho the computer is working fine. Should I attempt to replace the fans and see how that works?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:09 am 
Site Admin

You can try it, but that'd be a big coincidence that both fans got damaged and not the main logic board.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]