Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: DvD drive slot gasket thingamajig. Replaceable?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 pm 

Ejected a dvd and it pushed out the...squeegy, dust gasket, rubbery dvd scraper....not sure what its called. about half of it is no longer attached and it kept catching the dvd and not letting it eject. I've got the top off and the black bracket that looks like it holds the gasket around the slot. But it looks like the gasket is sorta semi-permanently press fitted on.

Anyone familiar with this? How do I get it off? It looks like its put together with some press fit, plastic-rivit jujitsu at the factory...Am I gonna have to buy a new top case just to get a new dvd gasket/dust-scraper? Or should i just cut it out and not worry about it? Its a 2007 so part of me thinks its old enough, and I should just cut it out....

What do you guys think? Maybe someone can tell me what the damn thing is called!
Thanks!
-Mike :)

edit: I noticed it was mostly torn from the bottom row of attach-points, so I snipped off the bottom section, cleaned up the couple other loose spots, and it looks like a half-way workable dust-gasket-sqweegy-scraper...

Last edited by mikentosh on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: DvD drive slot gasket thingamajig. Replaceable?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:24 am 
Site Admin

You'd really have to replace the casing. You can cut it away, but it will reduce the life of the optical drive as a lot more dust will get inside and eventually kill it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]