Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: RESOLVED: Startup but then No Startup after GPU reballing
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:32 am 

I was having a problem with my GPU, the checker board pattern, and being that I was out of warrenty and may have to buy a new logic board anyway I figured I'd trying reballing my GPU with the hairdryer trick (used it on an Xbox 360 with graphics problems and seen others use it)

My problem was that at first it wouldn't start up, but once I plugged it in it loaded fine, but when I got to my desktop it didn't connect to the my wireless network and said the date was set back to Jan 2008, which I heard sometimes happens with this fix. I think tried to click the notices off, but my track pad didn't work. So unplugged and took the battery out to reset, figuring a reboot may fix the problem, but now it won't load at all, I still get the green light on my power plug and the lights on my battery, but thats about it. I don't hear anything booting up.

I don't think its a dead logic chip or CPU because it loaded up fine to begin with, including all programs loading and the fan control program starting my fans at the correct RPMs. I'm gonna take everything again apart tomorrow but figured I'd check to see if anyone had this happen and if they maybe know a fix. I've tried taking out and reinserting the ram and using only 1 chip, but doesn't seem to make any difference.

If its is a logic board replacement do you know if there are any other boards, besides http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-17-216-GHz-Logic-Board-p-20710.html that may work with a 17" Model A1151? Since that one is sold out and I can't seem to find a logic board anywhere else from a reliable dealer.

Thanks for any help.
-Rich

Last edited by Rbastid on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Startup but then No Startup after GPU reballing
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:48 am 
Site Admin

yeah I would just take it all apart again and put it back together double checking all the connections, etc.

for a replacement if necessary, get your serial number and go to the Parts By Serial at the top of our site, put in your serial and then click on the parts tab. That'll list the logic board for your machine.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]