Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Macbook pro reads new hard drive as 5.5tb
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:05 am 

i recently had to replace my hard drive due to the fact that my 2year old daughter tossed her kindle at the laptop. When the kindle landed edge first it hit right where my hard drive is located in the laptop. Right afterwards a pop up error message came and i couldn't do anything on the laptop but move my cursor around... so i restarted the computer and it just stayed at the white apple logo screen with a spinning wheel... i tried using disk utility but the computer couldn't read or repair the drive... so i purchased a new 750gb scorpio black from western digital... the first time after i installed it read as 5.5tb's... SO i ordered second one thinking the first was just defective... While waiting on the second drive i removed the new drive and installed it in an external inclosure... When i booted the mac into disk utility again this time it read the drive correctly and allowed me to create a split drive... afterwards re-installed it back in the laptop and it again red the drive as 5.5.tbs but with the partition i had set from earlier... When the second drive arrived i installed it and got the same issue as the first... For some reason when connected to the motherboard directly from the cable as an internal drive its read improperly. However when read from usb or firewire its correctly recognized... I cnt figure out if the problem lies with the cable or the motherboard because everything else works fine and i've ran a hardware test with no problems found... if anyone could shed some light on the problem or help out in any way please feel free to share... Thanks

Post subject: Re: Macbook pro reads new hard drive as 5.5tb
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:53 am 
Site Admin

It's really hard to say. It could be the hard drive cable, the logic board, or an incompatibility with the drive.

Since the drive being incompatible is unlikely and you've tried two drives, I would check the cable and the socket on the logic board for any damage and try a new cable first.

Post subject: Re: Macbook pro reads new hard drive as 5.5tb
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:55 am 

it's still a no go i replaced the cable and the same thing happens disk utility reads the hard drive as 5.5 tbs at this point i'm guessing its the motherboard... even though i don't see any damage and everything else runs smoothly

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]